Surface Pro 6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by excalibur1814, Oct 9, 2018.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Question for any of those here that might have upgraded from a Surface Pro 4 specifically, to the new 6. How much of a leap is it in totality? I realize the obvious stuff like dual core versus quad core etc. Reason I ask is that we have a couple of people in our group wanting to upgrade and their systems are still mid cycle as far the company is concerned so they need justification to do so early.
    Thanks,

2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The SP4, be it i5 or i7, with 8Gb ram is fine for most tasks. The upgrade to a SP6 (quad) would realistically be suitable for heavier lifters. Heck... if you have the cash, as a company, go for it but other than that there's still life in the SP4.

desertlap likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...there's still life in the SP4...>>

...My opinion, also. I just recently passed my SP4 along to a deserving family member, but right up to the end I was always impressed with how snappy it was compared to the current round of tablets. I passed on the SP6, but I'd guess that for average number crunching the SP6 is likely a second or two faster than the SP4.

Why do I say that? The comparison below pits the i7 SP4 against the VAIO Z Canvas which runs a Haswell i7-4770HQ, which is a 45 W quad-core processor. Although it is a few years old, it is essentially as powerful (based on PassMark scores) as today's quad core i7-8650U. The graphs below were produced by running Intel's XTU benchmark. Blue is CPU utilization, green is temperature and red is clock. Note that the SP4 requires only a couple of seconds longer than the Z Canvas to complete the benchmark test...

XTU Comparison.JPG

desertlap likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Anyone with an SP5 have have MS replace their device with an SP6?

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes you are confirming what I expected that it's not a big jump performance wise and thus hard to justify a replacement based on that.

Thanks all

6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

The quad core really shines if you run a lot of apps at the same time. Single core performance improvement is negligible. It really depends on how you intend to use this machine and whether the app is able to use all the cores. If you use it like an iPad (limited multitask capability), the performance gain is non-existent. If you use it like a workstation or use apps that do support multi-core computing, the improvement is very notable. It's less about pure speed, but the capacity of workload you can run. In my use case , the SP6 is significantly better than its dual-core predecessor (SP5).

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

How is the battery life vs the SP5? What about SSD performance? A part of me wants to see if I can use my extended warranty I got from the MS store to get an SP6. Not for the better cpu, but for the better battery life as the SP5's performance is good enough for me.

8. Steve S

9. Steve S

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just ordered a SP6, black, 8Gb with 250Gb storage. Nice. Hopefully the new colour will force me to keep it for more than a month :)

yodamiked likes this.