Surface Pro 6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by excalibur1814, Oct 9, 2018.

1. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

What price is it coming up as? It won't let me see the price without signing in. Was planning on getting a Costco membership soon, and if the SP6 is the right price, might go ahead and jump on it now.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

$999 for 8GB/128GB i5 with keyboard and pen:
    upload_2018-11-7_15-39-37.png

Bronsky likes this.
  3. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately, it is the reality with Windows 10. The hardware is excellent no doubt. The software has gone much worse, and perhaps is the worst in the history of Windows. Unless you are really into the 2in1 concept, I would not recommend any Windows devices at all, or you'll be dealing with frustrating experience every day.

I am thinking that if Apple makes a SP or iPP running macOS, I can dump Windows for good. But that'll never happen.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hot damn! That's the same crazy good deal I got on an SP4 some time last year. Must....not....buy.....!!!!!

Edit: oh..SP5 after all. Still a good deal, just not AS good

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

NVM turns out that is the Surface Pro 5 and Verge had the wrong link. I got my base SP5 w/keyboard openbox at BB over the summer and it was only like $25 less than this(new would have been like $650); so yeah it's a fairly good deal.

9. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

So after publicly shunning the Pro 6 for no USB-C and stepping backwards on i7 graphics... The black finish and quad core got me to try one out:

Some surprising takeaways comparing SP5 i7 v. SP6 i7:
    • The SP6 idles at a higher clock speed, yet pulls less package power. (idling at 1ghz x 4 cores vs. 600mhz x 2 cores makes things more responsive while using less power.).
    • The IRIS graphics are still a step backwards; but surprisingly the improved thermals, multiple cores and efficiency meant that the HD 620 outperformed the HD 640 in some games such as Overwatch and in minecraft in certain situations. (I was shocked at this.....) Not all games benefited from the improved CPU. Games like Tomb Raider still had a 15-70% advantage using the Pro 5.
    • Heat soaked UHD 640 graphics on the SP5 ends up being close to the same performance UHD 620 for graphics alone. Burst graphics on the UHD 640 can still be up to 100% faster in certain tasks.
    • The thermals HAVE improved. SP6 can maintain at least 16 watts where the SP5 maintains 12.5 watts. (This due to extra heat piping and thermal spreading tape.)
    • The 512GB SSD in the Pro 6 (toshiba) wasn't quite as good as the 512GB SSD in the Pro 5 (Samsung) Very close... but the samsung had better writes.
    More details on my youtube channel if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/cbutters
    I originally was going to return the SP6 after testing it; however due to my surprise that the graphics on the SP6 were actually quite competitive paired with the faster (and additional cored) CPU; I decided to keep it and instead will be letting go of my SP5 instead. (PM me if interested in a 512GB 16GB RAM SP 2017 in immaculate shape)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Allarih, excalibur1814, batty and 4 others like this.
  10. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder - could it be because of dust in you i5 fan? It would be interesting to see how fan-less SP6 i5 performs comparing to i7. Could you share your graphics settings for overwatch so I'll check?