Surface Pro 6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by excalibur1814, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think they attach to the case and pass the heat through the metal alloy of the shell.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wonder what happens when the shell is covered with leather...:eek:

3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

upload_2018-10-19_18-49-39.png
    When you know your Pen is defective
    Green - SP4 pen; Black - SP5 pen (bought yesterday); Red - SP5 pen (bought on SP5 launch date).
    Wish I had known this sooner...

Azzart and JoeS like this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I saw Lisa's review of the SP6 and she said it now has a more efficient LG display, vs a Sharp display on the SP5, which is how in her tests is getting an hour more of battery life. Which has me wondering I wonder if I could swap my SP5 display for an SP6 display for the better efficiency and lighting uniformity.

wataru likes this.
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you check out iFixit you're going to find there is almost no way a regular human being can remove that screen without damaging something.

MobileTechReview likes this.
  6. bloodycape

I know, but a gal can dream in having their SP5 display replaced with a better and more efficient variant from MS under warranty.

7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Too bad Microsoft does not repair things these days (same as Apple). They will only swap you a new one or a refurbished one. If you want to have your Surfaces repaired out of warranty, you'll be out of luck. They'll refuse to repair it or cite a repair cost that is greater than the cost to buy a new one - which is true given that how much they have made their Surfaces not repairable. Economically, it's much cheaper to replace than to repair considering the labor cost in developed nations. They can earn much more by selling/recycling broken ones/repair jobs to developing countries. One crazy thing I learned while studying in the US is that it's cheaper to buy new stuff than to repair broken stuff, and it's cheaper to trash than to recycle - a level of lavish lifestyle that I can never imagine back in my country.

Years ago I broke my Asus Vivotab screen - the whole display assembly (glass, LCD, touch panel, EMR panel) needs be replaced. I sent it to Asus manufacture support center here in U.S., and was asked to pay
    ~$350 to have it replaced (which costs more than the tablet itself). Instead, I bought a new display assembly from China for $100 and replaced it myself.

8. bloodycape

Yes, it's really unfortunate how hard it is replace parts on devices now. I am thankfully, I have MS extended care and I got my SP5 in the summer, so maybe when the 2 year mark is near I can take it in and maybe get an SP6 as a replacement since they probably won't have any SP5s available and SP7 will be out by then. Then again if I am viewing an image or video where the center near bottom is black you an see a spot on the display. Just recently noticed it. Not that big of a deal, but may swap it out in January once the holiday rush is over; unless it gets worse.

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I bought one 3 days ago and its been an absolute nightmare. It keeps spooling, its slower than a mk1 ipad and today its freezing up, touch screen keyboard disappears and leaves the outline and locks up. I so wanted this to be good. Battery life is really good. Keyboard and pen are excellent when its not freezing up. I last used Windows when it was XP and thought yep this is the device for me. Its so buggy it's ridiculous. I've done a fresh install to no avail. Have asked for a replacement hoping it's a dodgy unit. Fingers crossed.It has certainly made me question my decision to move back to Windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
  10. bloodycape