Surface Pro 6 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by excalibur1814, Oct 9, 2018.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So tempted to press that button and buy but I'm waiting for a real life actual review.

-i5-8300U
    -i7 8650U

-Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i5)
    -Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (i7)

Seeing as the both only feature the 620 I'm looking to eventually buy the i5 model.

2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I got the Surface Pro 5 in the summer and part of me wants to swap because of the supposed improvement in battery life, and the cpu being i5 by default. Last night noticed a small weird blotch on the screen that only comes up when the image or colors are totally black. A part of me is like maybe I can try and see if my complete warranty can get the Pro 6, which might not be possible. Thought it might be 2020 when the SP7 is out.

3. excalibur1814

For me it's the quad cpu. The only thing remaining is acceptable gaming (But we have the Surface Book for that)

4. excalibur1814

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I have received my i7 SP6 today. Pretty impressed with how quiet and cool it is when not docked. Speed feels faster than my Surface Studio (also quad core i7), opening any common app (e.g. Chrome, Edge) feels instant. Geekbench does put the 8th gen 15W chip in the same neighborhood as the 6th/7th 45W counterparts, and if cooling is sufficient, we could get a serious performer in the Pro (on par with the Studio 2? Just saying)

The tablet is rocking 1803. The October Update is pulled from shelf and not available to download anywhere. My SP5 has newer OS than the new one, a strange feeling. Screen looks better than the SP5.

Now comes the bad part - I have changed the product key to Windows 10 Education... not sure if that is the issue, but the tablet has a exclamation mark on its display adapter - I couldn't fix it at all no matter what I try (the official driver is not yet available; and Intel driver does not work)! The Surface Pen does not work, which I suspect is caused by the non-working display adapter. The screen brightness cannot be adjusted, either... Face login does not work (Win10 Education restriction?). Screen won't auto rotate (as if rotation sensor is broken). I suspect Win10 Education 'upgrade' completely bricked the tablet's drivers and/or firmware; but I updated the product key first thing when open box, so I am not sure.

Now trying to reset the computer with the recovery image (good lord they have it)... Good job Microsoft.

Update: Recovery image (Win10 Home) solves all the issues. So in a word, do NOT upgrade to Education or Enterprise version until Microsoft sorts out this bug!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    JoeS and Marty like this.
  6. excalibur1814

Mine arrived a few hours ago as well. Will run some tests and then reset as I never use the default install. Sure it's okay but that's just what I do now. Annoying to have Win10 home but, saying that, I'm sure that many businesses will have a select agreement (or whatever it's called) in place.

7. excalibur1814

Sp6 on the left, Sp (2017) on the left.

Sp6 = Core i5, 128Gb, 8Gb ram (Left).
    Sp5 = Core i5, 128Gb, 4Gb ram (Right).

[​IMG]
    Nice to have received a device with a faster SSD. Plus the 8Gb ram will be put to use. All in all a valid upgrade for what I do.

Prime 95

[​IMG]

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You tried running Crystal Disk in bitlocker and without? Go owners are seeing an 80% speed reduction with bitlocker on. Would be curious if the SP6 does the same.

9. excalibur1814

Actually, after running the test, I realised that the SP6 had bitlocker on (Which I always turn off so it's already off on the SP5)

Will run again in the morning.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nice speeds fot bitlocker on. Obviously, the SP6 does not have the same problem our Gos have.