Surface Pro 4 Screen Flickering/Shaking/Jumping issue

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Class action waiver is a very unsettled area of the law. New Jersey doesn't recognize them in consumer class action litigation but the US Supremes keep expanding the preemptive reach of the Federal Arbitration Act.

Kumabjorn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  3. Rocart

Rocart Pen Pal - Newbie

I have complained since buying Pro 4 new nearly a year ago. Nothing. Subsequently I just take it to the medical conferences I attend (with a backup Toshiba) and run it on the AV system until it shakes uncontrollably. I explain to the audience of assembled medico's and scientists exactly the problem with the Surface Pro 4 then ask indulgence until I switch to the Toshiba. I have conferences in Hobart, Brisbane, Sri Lanka then Malaysia in January & February and I'll follow the same format.

I know at least one IT supplier at a recent conference changed to Apple so stop wasting time with a vendor who doesn't reply after a myriad of complaints. Just implement consumer power!

DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.
  4. DRTigerlilly

Every day a new SP4 user with the issue appears on the reddit sub r/Surface. The megathread on the Microsoft support forums is at 133 pages with over 1800 users claiming to have the same problem. The thread is at over 65,000 views.

Users have surmised that the issue is related to the frame buffers (the model has two) on the Surface Pro 4 model or an issue with the actual display panel, since Microsoft switched to Samsung from LG for the new Surface Pro.

Users have anecdotally mentioned in the megathread that the problem has reccured in replacement models, and a repair company has chimed in to say that even in the devices that the screen itself has been replaced, the problem recurs in those devices., They question if a logic board is at fault.

At the very least Microsoft has changed their support spiel on their forums from, a fix is coming, to advising users to take their devices into store or through support channels.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bronsky's right, it is unsettled and more conservative jurisdictions strictly enforce arbitration, BUT cracks are opening, and the recent horrible behavior of EquiFax is leading the charge - where they insisted you had to sign a waiver and agreement to arbitrate before they would let you see if your credit data was among the data THEY LOST to hackers.

DRTigerlilly and Bronsky like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

I'm not in the position to sue right now, plus not sure I'd have a case since I've had the device replaced under warranty and live outside the US.

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

8. DRTigerlilly

about damned time...

The Register picked it up....but..I don't think they have quite the same reach or reputation.

Now picked up by Window Central.

In typical tech media form, the damn has broken, after months of pestering them to pay attention, once one site breaks the story, they all pile on.

Neowin, Laptop Mag, MS Power User, Ubergizmo etc...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

So this is def. a hardware defect?

I thought about getting a used SP4 but reading that I think I might better opted to buy another SP3 again.

Was this ever a problem for the SB1? Since it has the similar chipset and stuff.

I often read that users had problems right after a new windows update was released, so I was under the impression it was more of software problem than a hardware problem.

10. DRTigerlilly

Well, driver updates, resetting the device, turning of DPST, firmware updates, replacing the device (recurs), replacing the screen (recurs), have not resolved the issue...

Users have found that cooling the device, negates the problem...some have taken the absurd route of putting the device in the freezer, flickering immediately stops or having a cooling device pointed at the unit....points more to hardware than software.

JoeS likes this.