Surface Pro 4 Screen Flickering/Shaking/Jumping issue #Flickergate

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 15, 2017.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I have not yet experienced this issue, but it seems to be horrifically prevalent. Is it possible that the drivers could be the cause? I happen to use Intel’s latest drivers instead of the Microsoft ones for my Surface Pro 4. Is it just that I am lucky and my unit is a ticking time bomb that will have this issue like the rest? Enlighten me so I can endure any pain and anguish preferably sooner rather than later.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I'm leaning towards it has to do with usage scenarios.
    I think if you run your device ragged you're more likely to see it pop up sooner than later.
    I use my devices for everything, they can essentially be on >16 hrs per day. I didn't progress to flickering in my 2nd device, but it certainly appeared to be following the same trajectory in terms of symptoms.
    There is another user who had 3 devices with the same issue, that just doesn't seem random to me.
    I don't believe the issue to be related to drivers. The issue occurs in the UEFI menu and while booting, persists through complete resets and driver updates.

As an aside how did you get the Intel drivers to install, I can't seem to get them to install on the nSP.

3. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Not a driver issue, I tried intel's latest drivers as well. Not sure if it has to do with usage as much as age of the hardware. I did run mine hot from time to time, but mostly just web browsing and email. Oddly, my issue went away (knock on wood) with the latest firmware. I've stressed tested it and so far, so good.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

5. DRTigerlilly

Wow!!! Did not see that one coming. Great news for affected consumers!

JoeS and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply. The trick is for the first install, to download the zip archive version of the drivers and manually update and point to that unzipped driver folder in Device Manager. After this, reinstall with the executable version and then continue using the executable versions in going forward with each subsequent release. I also strongly encourage going to System Properties, Device Installation Settings and disabling automatic device downloads there as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. DRTigerlilly

I eventually got it to install, but had been having a hard time initially with the manual install.

Thanks!

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.