Surface Pro 4 Screen Flickering/Shaking/Jumping issue #Flickergate

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Oct 15, 2017.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You might have a point, I just got back Surface Pro 4 #3 (2nd replacement) from the Aventura Microsoft Store and the chassis has a dent and the glass overhangs the case...

and the Surface was bought to the store in an Incipio Faraday Advanced case, which they cracked, removing the damaged Surface from in the store... and the replacement was replaced in the case, so it didn't dent and have the glass overhanging since he picked it up.

I'm firing my Dad ( who did the exchange)

and then i'm firing Microsoft

REALLLY!!!:mad:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  2. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn, that sucks. Exactly the situation I'm trying to avoid. We'll see, it could still turn out to be a disaster, but I want to avoid an exchange.

3. DRTigerlilly

Is your device still under Warranty? Because I am not sure I would risk a 3rd party repair for a device under warranty...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

4. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish! I will have had it 2 years in April and I didn't spring for the extended warranty. BUT, unless Microsoft would guarantee my SP4 back or a new one, I would still go the 3rd party repair route or tackle it myself. I trust my skills and care way more than Microsoft. The shop I'm taking it to is run by friends of a friend and they have had nothing but stellar reviews. Otherwise, I would be buying the ifixit toolkit and going at it.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. DRTigerlilly

Microsoft replaced the damaged SP replacement with a replacement/refurbished new Surface Pro.

I took possession yesterday. no visible defects.

Initially I was going to let it live in a new Incipio Faraday advanced case, all the previous SP4's have lived in one, but now i'm uber conscious about heat dissipation, I've decided to take it out.

Not sure how i'm going balance protection and heat dissipation. I might have to move this to being a secondary device.

Big'Un likes this.
  6. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree that heat dissipation seems to be an issue, so I'll be running mine naked as well. Still waiting to get mine fixed, sigh.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

9. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

So, haven't sent the SP4 off to be fixed yet, life getting in the way as always. Microsoft released a new firmware to add surface dial support and I haven't had the issue with flickering since I updated. I did originally suspect firmware as I didn't get the problem until after I had installed the previous firmware, but others had the same issue before that, so I discounted that idea. Something to try anyway.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

I have not yet experienced this issue, but it seems to be horrifically prevalent. Is it possible that the drivers could be the cause? I happen to use Intel’s latest drivers instead of the Microsoft ones for my Surface Pro 4. Is it just that I am lucky and my unit is a ticking time bomb that will have this issue like the rest? Enlighten me so I can endure any pain and anguish preferably sooner rather than later.