Surface Pro 4 Predictions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Open Task Manager and look under running process, remove all you don't need. You'd be surprised to see how much stuff is there and taking up CPU cycles when you are idling away.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. manhattan

manhattan Scribbler - Standard Member

I think we can begin to see more accurately what we can expect from Core M in terms of effects on battery (and performance) by comparing the Venue 11 Pro 7140 (it has the core M), against the Venue 11 Pro 7000 (Core i5), and the Venue 11 Pro 5000 (with Atom Bay Trail). It's fair to say that you seem to get an additional 1.5 -2.5hrs from the Core M, while sacrificing some performance. It also seems fair to say that the Core M performs considerably better than the Bay Trail (and opens the door to 64 bit: 4GB RAM+).

Personally I find the Bay Trail is quite able to do all the things you listed, fine; but you certainly aren't going to love doing them all simultaneously while loading several tabs of YouTube on chrome.

With the added oomph that Core M provides, you can do everything you listed in flying colors (in fact, I've seen YouTube posting videos of gaming on it -while gaming requires GPU, it too makes demands from the CPU); and since Core M enables more RAM, you'll be able to handle all those task much more comfortably.

One thing to note is that the 7140 is actually physically (albeit negligibly) smaller than the Core i5 7000; put in another way, there is more room, now that the fans are gone.

So, to answer your question, I imagine that if that added space were to be filled by a beefier battery, then getting an additional 3 to 3.5 hours (from what the core i5 provides) doesn't sound that difficult to do. Add to that a power-cover-type keyboard, and you should be able to get close to real world numbers that match the currently purported [12 hrs+] Venue 11 Pro 7140 battery life the linked reviews imply. In other words, I'm speculating that displacing the fans with battery mass, 9 hours should be possible and with an external battery cover 13+ of use should be totally doable on the SP4.

I would be quite content with that; so would most users.

My speculations rely on the validity of the reviews I've seen. If these people are inflating numbers, then all bets are off... But it shouldn't be too hard to ask forum user how their 7140's are doing battery wise.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    gcoupe likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

alextrela182 likes this.
  4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We want the same battery life in 2 in 1 device also.
    That's the point.

Sent from Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. cookies4you

cookies4you Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll laugh if the Surface "Mini" really means 10.6 inches, the original Surface screen size.

Although, I'd kill for a Surface "Mini" with the advancements from the Surface Pro 3.

Continuous kickstand, 3:2 aspect ratio, folding keyboard, N-Trig pen, better power connector...

Staring at my Surface RT and my Surface Pro 2, it looks like it'd be pretty simple to do.

Lose some of the vertical bezel, (possibly) put the webcam at the top left corner, and move the Windows button to the middle right bezel. They might not be able to hit 3:2, but there's plenty of room to hit 16:10 without losing anything.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

WindowsCentral sounds pretty sure it'll be a CherryTrail-based device. While Atom is now really good, I need a bit more power than that for my primary machine. Core M would in all likelihood meet that, but I don't think CherryTrail will.

Not surprising (I'm not particularly looking to upgrade right now anyway), but looks like I'll be sticking with my Pro 2 for a while.

9. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd be glad just to get a higher end cherry trail, 10" with a wacom or ntrig digitizer. I'm thinking whatever it is, it probably won't be cheap so the digitizer seems quite possible just to give it an edge over all the other economic windows tablets.

10. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

If it has cherry trail in a mini device I think a lot of us would be satisfied. Would need at least 1 USB port, none of this USB C either! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.