Surface Pro 4 Predictions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

As a note the latest Google Chromebook Pixel has 2 USB-C ports.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I suspect it is a small minority, but there are people (on these boards) that don't buy the type cover. With my SP1 I mostly used my Bluetooth keyboard, and others don't want a keyboard at all, so it isn't necessarily essential for everyone.

No matter what MS does though, there are going to be people who not only don't like it, but don't want to like it (Apple fanboys). There are always going to be naysayers... even Apple has naysayers (many of them hang out here =P).

At this point I don't really care though. The product line seems to be succeeding and making MS money, so I'm no longer very worried about MS cancelling the line, which is really the only reason I ever cared what the tech press had to say about it. Someone who blogs for a living doesn't have the same computing needs that I do, and I doubt many of them even understand what I need.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's not essential for everyone. I would have preferred a plain flip cover, without a keyboard, similar to Lenovo's Quickshot cover.

4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly
    With my SP2 and now with S3 didn't purchased type cover and will not for the S3.
    Don't think that everyone needs buying the type cover.
    But if MS give us for free it's nice bonus after all and you can not say no of course.
    Only with the SP3 bought the type cover as i use it as my main computer after all.
    But always im having bt keyboard for general use with windows tablet with 1/3 of the cost of official type cover from MS.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

5. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

On PGA golf broadcast today, the announcers have two PCs on their desk that, based on size, would have to be 14 inch Surface models. Either that or a mock up.

Jim

6. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Not every one has a USB Type-C compatable infraststructure.So,it makes sense if microsoft makes both USB Type C and Normal USB 3.0 Port available on surface Pro 4.It makes sense for microsoft to slowly adopt new standards and encourage people to embrace new standards as well as not to trouble prospective consumers at the same time who are not yet ready for this change immediately.
    If USB Type-C becomes the only USB port on surface pro 4,then microsoft cannot immediately attract many consumers to buy Surface pro however the good,the product be.

I agree with Steve S,the update on surface pro 4 will be mostly incremental and will mostly fix most outstanding issues on surface pro 3.

The first issue and major issue is thermal throttling.A new 5th gen Broadwell or may be a 6th gen skylake processor should fix it.

The next issue is a better charger.I had to replace my damaged charger due to wire frying issues within 3 months of use.
    Microsoft has to redesign the charger.May be it could have occured in my case due to current fluctuations and I am not the only one who have faced this issue.
    The next issue and also important for some users wanting to take a camera shot of bills and artcles is the issue of camera.
    5 mp camera is a decent specification but real world experience with rear camera on surface pro 3 is very bad,clarity is bad.The same may not apply to surface 3 as reviewers say the 8mp camers on surface 3 is good enough for a tablet for the price you pay for it.
    Next up,I expect more of surface 3 like keyboard cover for the surface pro 4,which most reviewers like better than the one available for surface pro 3.
    There will be other improvements too but to me,these four are the most important outstanding issues with surface pro 3.These four improvements will definately make surface pro 4,one of the best tablets to buy.
    Also,I too got a defective screen coating towards left of my screen.If you read my thread on surface pro 3,which I wrote recently,you will know more of it.However,not every unit has this issue.Microsoft should revamp some of its quality check systems with surface pro 4 and could have already done so recently.
    Nevertheless,Surface pro 4 will be an awesome tablet and the non pro surface 4 could be definately be an iPad killer in a huge way.Cause,Intel has understood,people no longer want underpowered old gen atom processors.So,intel announced Atom X series processors with reasionably high processing capabilities.The next gen atom processors will be as good as today's highest spec snapdragon processors or as good as those found on iPad Air 2 or rumored iPad Air 3.

The surface 4 will shine easily in this declining tablet market and the lucky side of the coin will turn towards microsoft rather than being always with Apple.Today people want to be productive even while being mobile.The touch friendly office will see many people using surface 3 and surface 4 everywhere with cases but without keyboard cover,just like the iPad.
    The use of stylus will be very common then.

12 inch is ergonomically best size and 3:2 is the best aspect ratio for surface pro 3.So, microsoft should stick to 12 inches and a 13 inch option could be added.
    Introducing only one size of the screen on surface pro which is any bigger than 12 inch would temper with the concept of the surface pro itself ,also tempering with the purpose of the surface Pro series a little bit.
    Is Cintiq Companion 2 not available with a 13.3 inch screen size?

The 12 inch is perfectly realistic screen size for the concept of the surface which is a full powered PC with mobility and lightweightness kept in mind while designing the surface pro 4.

Instead of fancy predictions,predicting on basis of logic and market needs,especially majority of market's needs will not disappoint so much when product gets finally released.

So,my advice is don't hope for too much fancy things like a 13 or 14 inch displays as it could disappoint you.Some people have predicted too many fancy things for the surface pro 4 which didn't seem practical to me so don't have high hopes for any rumour without logic.
    One more stuff I hope to might see in SP4 is improved bass from speakers something lacking in SP3 in comparision to a Macbook.

The Dolby surround sound on SP3 is great but a good sense of Bass is missing in SP3.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    alextrela182 and Bronsky like this.
  7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Here is a photo of the 14inch Surface.

Jim

Attached Files:

Bronsky likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

They definitely do look big.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

They don't look fanless either. Nice find.

10. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Share the image with a techs site and see what they dig up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.