Surface Pro 4 Predictions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

2. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Speaking as someone who is working with current Intel tech, their engineering samples are almost always released around six months ahead of RTM. That's all I'm willing to say about the matter but if you consult the Internets, the first engineering samples were reported around the end of October. Now, whether Microsoft ends up putting Broadwell or Skylake on SP4 is really a toss-up because it can go either way.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, but first real Broadwell machines were shipped at the beginning of 2015, and SP3 had been released in june.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

The i7 version didn't come out until September and should have had Broadwell to be the killer device they want it to be. Unfortunately MS just seems to be riding the back end of the cycle.

5. AmbiDextrose

AmbiDextrose Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, there were yield problems with Broadwell which caused it to be delayed. This probably played a factor in Microsoft's decision to ship the SP3 with Haswell - because the latter processor was readily available. If they waited for Broadwell, it could have delayed SP3's launch and with it, Microsoft's momentum. Also, there's something to be said about not being on the bleeding edge - usually, this means a more stable product because the components have had a lot of "soak" time.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Still stick by my story - my beloved Surface Pro 3 is next to useless without a keyboard, and the Type Cover, because it does not rely on Bluetooth, is the solution Apple has never gotten with its after-market developers. IT SHOULD BE IN THE BOX.

Yes and yes. They are on the back end of the cycle because of development time constraints, AND the risk of a new bleeding edge processor. SkyLake could pose both problems for Microsoft, and since SPro 4 is going to be more of a refresh of the SPro 3 (NO - it will not be thinner, lighter, and more full featured than SPro 3), SkyLake can wait in their minds. I could be flat wrong (like that's never happened before) but my money is on SkyLake being a o.3" (+/-) waif without fan and sporting USB 3.1 Type C ports...in June 2016...

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

The only way that shipping keyboard with the device would work is getting rid of the color choices....each market that the device is sold in has different preferences and some colors sell better than others...as each color would equal a new SKU...

8. milkytoast

milkytoast Pen Pal - Newbie

So he is betting that Microsoft will play it safe and use proven technology vs trying out bleeding edge the competition like they did with the Surface 3's atom cpu. USB C is a gamble since it is an Apple invention, if we see widespread Android adoption of the USB C we will see it on the surface and surface pro, I think. One of Skylake's big features is the wireless charging at a real wireless range of 10 meters and I wouldn't risk that just yet. some people think that wifi makes them sick, now imagine that they think your pumping full watts into the air. the actual ports on there for charging will depend on how well the new resonance charging works vs USB C charging. I'm fairly sure they will play it safe and have a core M and go fanless and use there current charger.

9. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

maybe MS will skip SP4 and jump to the SP5 in theme with Win10...

or maybe we'll see iterations of the SP3. No SP4 as we'll see SP3.1

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How about bundling then - just get past this insane "BUT THE KEYBOARD IS EXTRA!" crap from naysayers and the tech press. Besides, it is essential, not just convenient.

YES, that's my bet; NO it is not an Apple invention - it is a new standard for USB...

bloodycape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.