Surface Pro 4 Predictions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wasn't aware of the S6 ditching it (was thinking of my wife's S5 and my N4).

That makes sense (rigidly). Like I said, there are certainly tradeoffs. Still I have no doubt they (MS) could have done it if they chose too. There would have been sacrifices. It might have been somewhat less rigid or heavier/thicker for the extra casings required.

Some users would no doubt be less happy with the product as a result, but others would be more happy. I think they probably made the more ideal choice in terms of pleasing the largest number of people... it is difficult to say though without that actual alternative product to compare too. How large would the sacrifices end up being?

Certainly external batteries are an alternative, but I wouldn't call that an equally good solution to a swappable battery.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

In the video I posted the mention on the designing of the body of the Surface Pro 3 vs. the Surface Pro (2)....here is what the case looks like with the screen removed

inside the sp3.PNG

The white/grey squares are the custom batteries...

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Yep, the design would have had to have been "tweaked" significantly (or rather different, since that would have been their design goal from the start) to make a swappable battery work. It would have been some amount, heavier, thicker, and/or less riged. Some people would accept that compromise. Others wouldn't like it.

I just don't expect the sacrifices would be so large that they would, for example, make it into a 4 lb behemoth that no one wants or anything that extreme. In my case, I'd have to see it. I'm sensitive to increased weight and bulk as well.

The surface design team has proven (at least to me), that they can pull off difficult design goals. I have no doubt they could come up some good ideas to make a desireable product with a swappable battery if that is what they chose to set their minds to.

Again though, I have no expectation that they will do that... on the other hand, I also had no expectation that they would go the Atom route (which I had desired since Bay Trail was released) with the Surface line. Atom (and Core M), with it's smaller PCBs (and batteries), I think should make the swappable battery idea easier to accomplish.

Below is the GN4 battery next to my S3. It is 12.4Whr which is a little less than half of the 28Whr battery in the S3. I think it is doable if they wanted to with marginal sacrifices in other areas (which may be enough to turn some people off).

upload_2015-5-19_11-14-32.png
    upload_2015-5-19_11-15-31.png

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay, here's an option. Swap the whole device. Hibernate, pull the SD card out, plunk into spare fully charged device, wakeup, and good to go. All my data, programs, and memory dump from Hibernate fire up on my spare device.

Or SD card is non volatile static ram. There is no internal RAM on the computer. Instead of 8GB ram, you have full addressable ram on the SD card. 64 bit CPU can address it all. Storage and RAM is one and the same. non volatile so you don't have to hibernate or standby. turn off device and everything comes back right where you left off when you turn it back on.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure if anyone saw, but the Vaio Z Canvas is coming to America. Interesting competition for a SP4. I'll probably wind up getting it from Japan because I can't wait, but outside of shortish battery life (rated at 7.6, so I figure 5 - 6 real world), it's got everything I want.

Allarih likes this.
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice! Skylake SP4 then!

8. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I wouldn't count on it. Intel has missed dates before and chip availability does not always equate to immediate hardware availability. Would the SP4 be smart to have it? Sure. Will it? Remains to be seen.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...chip availability does not always equate to immediate hardware availability...>>

...I agree.

10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Asus has recently said it will be shipping Skylake units by September and will announce them when W10 is released this summer. I can't imagine that MS would miss the opportunity to upgrade its SP4 if Asus has access to the same chips. Microsoft has been at least a month ahead of the other ODM's with the inclusion of the X7 in its S3. What makes you think they wouldn't do exactly the same thing with the updating of its flagship tablet?

soh5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.