Surface Pro 4 Predictions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Scribbler - Standard Member

That timing (July-August) would be a perfect time to launch SP4 with Skylake + Windows 10. The initial flood of Surface3 will be over by then for the school market.

On another note, the Windows 10 Mobile demonstration with Continuum was impressive.

But there is a feature in Windows 10 Mobile to support pen recognition.........

2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope you are both right. SP4 with skylake will definitely be my next.

3. ColoKaren

ColoKaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Good discussions on processors. My big want is a user-replaceable battery.

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

better yet, a hot swappable one. miss that from the old TC-1000 days.

Mesosphere likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As nice as that would be, never going to happen these days. Too many layers of plastic (battery casing, battery bay, etc.) in a time where thinness beats all.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

According to the Surface Engineering Team, an average laptop battery if 3 to 4 months and then need to be serviced, the SP3 and S3 batteries are good for 3.5 to 4 years....

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Note: I agree swappable batteries aren't going to happen, and I think there are tradeoffs involved, but...

Just to offer a counter example, the Samsung Galaxy phones do it pretty well, and are succeeding in the present market. They certainly aren't the thinnest phones on the market though.

The reason I'd like them (and I think this was @XJ12 's point) is for the instant jump to 100% charge. With the S3 in particular and it's slow charging rate, it would be nice. I love it on my phone.

8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And yet the S6 (and probably the Note 5, who knows though) has done away with this.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Just to offer a counter example, the Samsung Galaxy phones do it pretty well...>>

...Except that size is also a big factor. One of the problems with removable anything is that the hole weakens the stiffness of the case. Cell phones can sort of get away with this because the hole is small. And, because the phone itself is small, torsional rigidity can at least be "managed." However, the hole required for a Surface battery would be half of the back. That's not an easy design problem...

If the issue is being able to swap a charged battery for an exhausted battery, a user is probably just as well off using an external battery (of the type that has been discussed in various threads) to charge the Surface during idle intervals throughout the day...

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

HeavyHanded, hawkeye62 and Marty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.