Surface Pro 4 prediction + expectation

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by ptrkhh, Jun 6, 2014.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And THAT is my beef - it's a REALLY BIG IF. Anything short of enabling all of the capabilities of a device is a disservice to your customers. It's like having an LTE capable chipset but only enabling HSDPA - there's just no justification for this in my mind. Above all, it begs the question of why not stay with standards? That's the Apple way (their original crappy 40 pin connector design, then going to lightning - WHY NOT JUST USE mUSB?

There are certain behaviors of Apple that Microsoft really shouldn't emulate.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Since the additional data through the Power Port doesn't disable the existing USB and mDP Ports, makes me wonder is it is an additional DP and USB 3.0 Data Bus rather then just pass-through....

3. Fastestflash

Fastestflash Pen Pal - Newbie

Going Without The Keyboard:
    I've tried the virtual keyboard on many different tablets and I agree that can be a problem, but this is just another reason why I've come to love the larger screen and aspect ratio on the SP3. It doesn't seem to be as big of any issue as on smaller tablets, but one way that it could be improved would be to add a "tab" button to the main layout instead of having to switch layouts to find it. My biggest complaint with using the onscreen keyboard is the 1/2inch of wasted screen space on either side of it. I doubt most have noticed as I'm sure most have opted to get the cover, but since I didn't I noticed. When the onscreen keyboard is first brought up, it isn't maximized and there's unused space on either side, but when you "maximize" it black bars are added to each side, but the size of the keys aren't actually increased. If anything when u "maximize" the keyboard the keys seem more squeezed together(smaller). I hope they fixed this.

When I bought the Surface RT a couple of years ago I also bought the type and touch cover and while using the device day to day I found that it got more in the way for most of the tasks I was doing. Instead of constantly flipping it back out of my way when I didn't need it and sometimes getting the cloth like material dirty with greasy fingers from snacks i just snapped it off and threw it on my desk. When I actually needed to do some typing I found myself using it just because I had bought it because right next to the covers layed an actual keyboard. Thus this is why I have gone "keyboard less".

Full SDXC:
    No you get an adopter. Lol. Although, I do like cheaper prices for memory cards.

4. Fastestflash

Oo oo oo pick me pick me. I think I can answer that. The thinkpad tablet 2 my wife has had a broken mUSB port. Don't worry it wasn't her fault so i didn't kill her. We bought it like that, but the chick we bout it from said it broke when she tried to plug in the cord. I got the tablet for $200 with the dock because it was "damaged" and I switched out the port for $10 :). I think they're less reliable because people forget which way up the cord needs to be plugged in and it ends up damaging the port. I really do like the new iPhone/iPad connectors for this reason alone especially when trying to plug stuff in the dark. Of course mUSB has that whole world standard thing going for it.

5. Fastestflash

As a gadget enthusiast I'm jealous that you get a chance to evaluate a bunch of new tablets, but I can def see the frustration that comes with the job. It's a tough sell if people don't see the value of a tabletpc over a laptop, sometimes there really isn't. I reallly comes down to needs.

6. Fastestflash

You sir, must be a mobile typist :)

7. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

dear microsoft, since the fixed focus camera in sp3 doesn't work as you described "forget about focus blah blah", please put a good auto focus camera in sp4, like nokia good, carl zeiss lens good.

dstrauss and gcoupe like this.
  8. Malamasala

Malamasala Scribbler - Standard Member

Speaking of keyboards. I've been having my eye on the concept of a small "programmable keyboard" attachment, but they seem crazy expensive to me. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if it was more of a trivial cost.

Amazon.com: X-keys USB Stick Keys with 8 programmable keys: Electronics

It would be terribly ugly as well, but seemingly one of the few solutions to anyone who wants improved controlls without an entire keyboard attached.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. atragon

atragon Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to point out that while you can fit a mini->full size adapter inside a full size slot, it is physically impossible to fit a full size -> mini adapter entirely inside the mini slot, thus forcing full size users to have something hanging outside the tablet.

Putting in a full size slot allows for both full size and mini cards to fit inside the tablet.

Fastestflash likes this.
  10. Fastestflash

I know that lol. I'm just being selfish and want to be catered to my needs only :p As such I'd only want a full size SDXC if they gave me the adaptor already inserted in the slot lol. Fine! I give in, Microsoft you heard the guys put a full size in the damn thing!