Surface Pro 4 i7 vs New Surface Pro i7 ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Lazer, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...do you...have a way to do a single threaded test...>>

...I see your point. Looks like the XTU benchmark might be a single-core test:

Passmark.JPG

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, I thought the i7 7760u would perform better than that on a single core test: I remember mine stayed steadily at 4 ghz while working in Photoshop/Clip Studio and it completely outperformed the i7 of the old surface book.

3. Jayjapanb

Jayjapanb Pen Pal - Newbie

Sure you aren't chasing rainbows? What sort of lagg and what workflow? I don't notice massive difference between my watercooled 4.6ghz desktop i7 and my passive cooled i5 Surface Pro in Photoshop. Especially not with painting, which is the biggest potential area to have issues with lagging.

4. Lazer

Lazer Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for all of your comments about this. Here is a quick update.

I did end up jumping into a nSP - and I am happy that I did. Even if the change was somewhat minimal, those little changes made a noticeable improvement on my experience. i7 512 16gb

The upgrades to Pen/Stylus tracking are the biggest stand-out for me, even if minimal - the tracking upgrade makes me enjoy this tablet WAY more. I started out with the Wacom tech and nTrig sucked out of the gate, but the nSP definitely took nTrig to another level IMO.

There is a performance difference with nSP, and it is welcome. The fan doesn't come on as quick or as often, and the temperature seems more stable overall. This was my main issue with the SP4, as I honestly work my machines pretty hard and was having issues with the SP4 getting too hot, too quick and throttling severely. This would happen when using both Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously, several layers, multiple files, etc. The nSP handles this with much more ease, no significant throttling or getting too hot.

It was mentioned that my SSD could have been partially to blame, which is possible, but there did seem to be a performance drop after Windows 10 and subsequent updates. I wouldn't be able to know how much was attributed the OS versus hardware aging, but it did feel a bit too soon to feel it lagging like that.

The nSP feels a bit lighter and thinner, even though I didn't recall reading about those changes - could be in my mind, but they seem noticeably different in that regard. Overall, I am super happy with the upgrade and am so happy that they improved the Pen to the degree they did. When comparing my SP4 to my housemates iPad Pro, I got quite jealous. However, the nSP's stylus performance is close enough (if not the same) so I am quite stoked about that. All in all, I recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.