Surface Pro 4 Gaming and Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The general SP4 thread was getting very bulky and I didn't want to add to that so figured we could use one where we can compare gaming experiences and benchmarks.

So far I've run Metal Gear Solid V, 1280x720 with mostly medium settings and a few high settings in windowed mode. The game crashes if I try full screen, or borderless, and only lets me choose a few resolutions. I haven't played much with the settings yet. I'm getting about mid 30s fps which is very playable, this is in an open field where I would expect slow downs because there is a lot of terrain to draw.

Downloading Witcher 3, PCMark, 3dMark right now and will report on those later in the day.

alextrela182 and MOFO like this.
  2. spinedoc77

You guys should check this out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296610/

Gestureworks, it allows you to create onscreen controls for games. Joysticks, keyboard keys, even touch gestures, works quite well but has a learning curve. They have an addon also that lets you use our real sense camera for hand and head gesture input, sick. I will be playing around with that.

alextrela182 and MOFO like this.
  3. MOFO

MOFO Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice!
    Notice ant throttling when gaming?
    I know the SP3 struggled with thermal throttling and just wondering how well the new cooling system works.
    Just for comparison with the i5

Witcher 3

MGS V

It does work in full screen mode, not sure how he did it but at least it shows us it's possible.

Exactly how loud do the fans get when gaming?
    Never had a Surface Pro before and the i7 just might be my next buy!
    Thanks for your time will be looking forward to your vids/results.
    Just a suggestion but can you use FRAPS so we can see the FPS.

4. spinedoc77

The fans max out very quickly, they are about as loud as the sp3 which is pretty loud but not obnoxious. Any gamer out there is used to fan noise so it doesn't bother me.

I'm at the gym but will post more later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. spinedoc77

The fans max out very quickly, they are about as loud as the sp3 which is pretty loud but not obnoxious. Any gamer out there is used to fan noise so it doesn't bother me.

6. spinedoc77

7. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One more useful benchmark test i5/8/256 vs m3/4/128

Surface Pro 4 i5 8GB Vs SP4 M3 4GB Resident Evil Benchmark

Take a look and these one,but I totally disagree about fan noise on SP3.
    My 16 months i5 SP3 is totally fanless in most of my daily activities like browsing with IE,watching 720/1080p movie,streaming,office suite like OneNote,Excel.

Even when charging not hear any kind of fan noise only exception at summer with 35 degrees C July and August.

I don't know if my unit is rock solid but I'm very pleased in that criteria so far.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  8. spinedoc77

I'm talking about the fans maxing out with playing a high end video game. Your SP3 fans would max out in about 3 minutes, probably less, and stay maxed out with the GPU also being throttled. I'm not seeing any throttling yet on the SP4, but haven't tested it much.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes I know.
    Playing games or intensive task on SP3 will blow up fan noise,but I was talking about normal activities where it's absolute fanless as I mention specific examples on my daily experience.

I said all the above because of the comment on the video mention talking about fan noise for just browsing witch I don't agree at all.

Maybe the person had bad(defective)unit with his own SP3 not just like mine witch is fanless most of the case I'm doing with it.

Ps: By the way we are waiting the benchmark test for the i7 :p
    It's better take some screenshot it would be much helpful with the result when you are done.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the initial info doc, look forward to your future results as well.

If you happen to have 3DMark06, I'd love to see some P results after multiple runs... I've done extensive testing on my SP3 i5 and i7's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.