Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. Gus Smedstad

Gus Smedstad Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, the Wintab driver was exactly what I needed. I found a Microsoft support page that said some programs, such as older versions of Photoshop, need that driver to get pressure sensitivity. A quick test showed it was now indeed working.

3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

More observations (and hopefully finally settled down) -

My keyboard was back to order (out of nowhere), no more error on the I2C HID device. Completely working right now. Cost me several fruitless system reset and refresh.

The fan is quiet as long as I finish background tasks such as indexing, file history backup, Windows update/virus scan/application setup. I guess that's the norm. I think I made a stereotype mistake. I didn't realize those tasks were heavy tasks. I guess I automatically assume 'background tasks' = 'light tasks', which is hardly the truth. Ironically, my 'foreground tasks' are actually much lighter. I believe 30% CPU utilization or 40 degree Celsius is when the fan begins to kick in - my stereotype assumes 30% is 'light use', but apparently it's not.

The fan does not turn on when watching Prime Videos in IE, but not in Edge or Chrome. Downclocking the CPU helps reduce fan noise in CPU intensive tasks (indexing, installations, etc) but not web browsing perhaps because modern browsers use a lot of GPU these days. Video ads are most likely the culprit of fan noise in web browsers. The fan will run crazy when visiting sites with lots of Flash ads.

One thing for sure is, my SP3/4 is much noisier than many Ultrabooks. My stereotype tells me that tablets should be quieter than laptops, but not for SP. That's the price you have to pay for thin chassis. Less thermal room = more fan noise.

In the end, it comes down to compromises - how sensitive you are to fan noise versus how much power you want. The agonizing thing is, when I listed my wishlist for my SP3 upgrade, my highest priorities are - 1. I want no more noise 2. I want more RAM and SSD 3. Thinner and lighter but not smaller. My SP4 fills so many right marks except for the fan noise (no better than my SP3). I don't think I can find a perfect machine at the moment, may just stay with my current SP4, stop being a grumpy cat and accept the fact. At least act like a happy owner! (which will eventually make one happier) Hey for instance think this way - the fan kills thermal throttling for good, maintains a healthy temperature, I get the performance I want (esp. GPU and it can actually play some games now, unlike SP3) - and it's no quieter or noisier than my SP3 - there is essentially no trade off (unless you come from fanless devices).

(PS: I would jump at m3 model if it had more RAM&SSD, while HP Spectre x2 has more trade-offs than I'd like)

alextrela182 likes this.
  4. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually you are in my mind :p;)
    That's the real case in windows hybrid/2 in 1 device and especially the positive vs negative that you must accept at the end.
    Compromises is all about at the end.

There's no way to find now and in the near future the perfect device or combination.

wataru likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone tell me if the bright blue/cyan SP4 type cover exists to buy?...It was not possible to preorder it on the UK store, listed as unavailable...>>

In the past, not all colors of Keyboard Covers have not been available world-wide. I would not have thought that the cyan color would be one of these, but apparently in your case, it is. I have no idea why Microsoft does this, but perhaps it's the result of some demographic study or in-country focus group...???

ElectronicFur likes this.
  6. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

What are you doing to downclock the CPU? I noticed that with my i5 I spend a lot of time in boost mode.

Thanks!

7. wataru

Welcome to the forum!

Refer to this post and this post. The former uses advanced power options, which can easily adjust maximum CPU frequency in terms of % processor state. The latter uses Intel extreme tuning utility, which can overclock or downclock both CPU and GPU in terms of voltage offset applied to the chips. You may also use Intel Graphics Management to adjust graphics performance if you are able to install custom Intel graphics driver (but this may carry risk to your Surface, whose official update pathway is through Windows update).

I am only using the power options and my settings are this. This reduces most of my fan noise (and/or overheating) problems. Note that this does not reduce fan spinning on web browsing though because modern browsers are likely using GPU acceleration that cannot be downclocked using power options. In other words, your iGPU can still heat up even if your CPU is locked down to a pretty low frequency.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    GatsbyGlen likes this.
  8. wataru

I have multiple BSOD when using Edge - all pointing to video failure (mostly ads videos). Use IE and Chrome from now on until Edge has Ad blocker.

9. GatsbyGlen

GatsbyGlen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much!! I was wondering why with the SP4 you can't adjust more advanced power options, like processor power management. I guess it's related to Connected StandBy. This is my first Surface device (i5/8/256) - I'm coming from Android :)

I'm going to try your first post, and go that route. I'm more familiar with those settings :)

Edit - It appears your second link is the same as the first. I noticed that you had a powerplan of Turbo off - which particular setting is that? Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks, good to know. The cell phone thing is from Samsung, who said that part of the reason they didn't include a SD slot was because it would slow down their new technology. This is on the Note 5 and s6 edge plus.