Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Curious, under task manager, when you hear the fan running, what's the activity? Edge uses quite a bit more CPU on both my SP3 and MSI Laptop, noticeably more in fact than IE. Chrome also is known to hog CPU usage and I don't use it for that reason. Have you tried Internet Explorer with and ad blocker of some sort by comparison for general browsing?

Having said that, it might simply be the video process Amazon Prime is using. Netflix for me is almost idle (and therefore silent), where as some streaming sites use substantially more.

I'm the oddball it seems in this area though, as the fan on the SP's are so small by comparison to my laptops they simply can't compete in noise, so by default are quiet and acceptable to me. Raw performance without thermal throttling by far outweighs any small perceivable fan noise. But, others feel strongly different. Personal thing.

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You are the man! FYI, the post office also carries physical packets that you can pick up at a physical USPS location if you do a change of address there in-person, so that can shave off the week wait for anxious buyers. As for me, I legitimately am doing this also so my mail from home gets routed to my college address, something I have never bothered to do before.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  3. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Local physical USPS moving Best Buy coupons in NC are the 5% for all items (ie SP's) and 10% for home theatre items.

4. sonichedgehog360

I'd wait. There are still not a lot of Spectre x2 benchmark results out in the wild, so drawing conclusions at this point is a game to lose. In fact, there are only two or three benchmarks total out there of the Spectre x2, and this one of a 6y30 model shows the opposite of that other score. We honestly don't know what the testing scenario was for that 6y54 model. I have seen low numbers before and they can be attributed to other programs running at the same time while testing, the device being in Battery Saver or Power Saver mode, etc.:
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3404121

5. sonichedgehog360

I think I might very well do this with my lock screen...

dbrn and JoeS like this.
  6. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This was definitely the culprit in my case. My fan was on constantly the first couple of days, but after OneDrive synced I haven't heard my fan at all since then. Other than the graphics drivers issues I've been quite happy with it's performance and lack of fan noise.

7. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

FYI you can do a temporary change of address, then you get sent the package to your permanent address. For example, I'm not saying I did this =), but if I considered doing it I would do a temporary change of address to my brothers house for 2 days. This way the change of address package would get sent to my house and worst case scenario my brother gets my mail for 2 days. You can do this all online, there is a small fee like $2 if I remember.

8. alaskajoel

alaskajoel Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an odd request for all the SP4 owners out there...

I have a base i5 I have absolutely fallen in love with. One thing is driving me crazy though--an electrical buzzing. It sounds like processor coil whine, but I've localized it to the display backlight. The noise is completely gone at 100% backlight brightness but gets obnoxious in a quiet room at anything less than 75%. If someone could put their ear up to the top vent and check if you hear anything at moderate brightness levels I would hugely appreciate it.

I suspect this is a localized issue...no other surface device I've owned has done this, and this particular pro 4 was a customer return I think.

I owe you a drink in advance...come claim it in Cincinnati :)

9. JAMESMTL

JAMESMTL Pen Pal - Newbie

@alaskajoel mine is absolutely silent at any brightness level

alaskajoel likes this.
  10. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

I just did this today online, the coupon specifically says "excludes computers, tablets"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.