Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice review by Lisa, but my OCD is suffering with all those cables cluttering up the video.

"Hi this is Lisa from cables unlimited!"

upload_2015-10-31_15-14-40.png

".. and this is how it looks with a cable tangle in front of the keyboard. Sweet!"

upload_2015-10-31_15-16-24.png

"Despite the weight of all the cables you can still lift up the keyboard. Neat!"

upload_2015-10-31_15-17-44.png

be77solo likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I kind suspected that, windows hello sometimes takes several seconds to start, leaving me staring at a blank screen. I'm sure hello windows has to be able to turn on right away. Is windows hello supposed to be on a discrete chip like what some android phones have to keep them aware of your voice? Or does it rely on the main CPU?

3. connman

connman Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd bet your first SP4 did have some backlight bleed but the screen tint obscured it.

It's crazy to say but I have looked at countless SP1s, SP3s and now the SP4 and have never found one that has no backlight bleed whatsoever.

Lol - wish I could find one. Might even pay a premium. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am sure that there will be updates soon for fixes.... here is to hoping patch Tuesday starts this Tuesday and every Tuesday until everything is stable :)

5. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Ah, they're there to test your OCD meter, and also to remind that this highly portable and cleanly designed tablet turns into a capable mess once you introduce that docking station :).

Bronsky, gcoupe, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  6. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Just want to say how great and unbiased your reviews are. They are first class and the only ones I trust.

BTW, was there any scenario usage where the m3 got significant more battery life than the i5? or perhaps MS have bugs worsening the battery life tests? (eg some claim W8.1 gives better battery than W10)

gcoupe and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Just out of curiosity, after wiping and fresh installing Win10 on my SP3i7 I closely watched OneDrive during the "re-sync"... I only have 30GB, nowhere near the 80-100GB reported by some of you guys, and it still hammered both the CPU and SDD at near 100% during the whole process. Fan was obviously audible under those conditions.

I dare say once all these brand new SP4's get a chance to get caught up with changes etc the fan will be less of a thought. Even on my SP3 i7 it's silent during most tasks. OneDrive on initial setup seriously hammers things though, and then anti malware and Explorer start doing their own things with the new files.

Got to spend some time with a couple SP4's today at the MS store. Really nice machines. Couldn't tell much difference in handling, screen was a bit bigger but I wouldn't notice unless side by side. SB "clip" tablet was noticeably lighter, but not a realistic option for my usage, and I'd miss the tablet battery life.

Very excited to see the SP4 i7's in the wild with real world thermal tests done. If it doesn't have the same throttling issues my i7 SP3 has I'll be all over it!

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

My SP4 is going back. Apart from the frequent fan noise (sadly, the underclock only alleviates the problem and could not make the fan go away without significant performance loss; I can still hear the fan even when locked down to 1.8Ghz for web browsering), the keyboard and system's I2C HID device are down. Like, permanently down. Perhaps broken from overheating. There is an exclamation mark on 'I2C HID device' in the device manager and the keyboard is completely not working (not even the LED light on the keyboard). Reset, refresh the device multiple times to no avail. My device also has light bleeding in the bottom.

I am seriously thinking of the HP Spectre x2. But it seems that thing wasn't given enough thermal room - the m5/m7 is even slower than SP4's m3 from Geekbench results. I am at a loss what to get at the moment.

9. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

100% agree: Fan noise during setup and especially the onedrive sync is going to drive maximum cooling, doubly so if hooked into charger. I'd suggest leaving it on and plugged in for several hours and let it do it's thing, and if the next day you're still having odd fan issues then begin suspecting trouble, but not before.

Anyone else possibly being slowly driven insane by the screen flex? I must write with so much pressure...

10. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

My fan is constantly on whenever I am streaming Amazon Prime Video. It doesn't matter whether I use Edge or Chrome. So sad.

You can actually pause indexing and Onedrive to troubleshoot the fan noise. I did. My fan still kicked in for general web browsing.

Funny now that I have wiped the system with nothing to index, it's actually quiet right now. Still trying to convince me whether to get a replacement or get a HP instead.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.