Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Doubt it. Just shock-factor right now.

Once news surrounding the bad battery life of the SB tablet starts hitting the press, the honeymoon phase will end.

The kickstand and overall design of the Surface Pro is too good to let go (IMO).

alextrela182 and JoeS like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All they need to do is add a USB 3-C or Thunderbolt 3 port to the Surface Book Tablet, and the problem is solved (powering, display output, data output). Likewise, it would be easy to switch to Thunderbolt 3 for both the powering and docking solution, and they kill the entire flock with one stone.

Surface Book 2 will be an intriguing device.

gcoupe likes this.
  3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With the Surface Book covering my needs in the high end category (and nearly breaking the bank), I decided to pre-order the low-end Surface Pro 4. I'm optimistic that the improved pen, display, thinness and weight, coupled with the fanless Core M will make it an ideal mobile sketchbook: certainly an iPad Pro killer.

alextrela182 and Bronsky like this.
  4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With the Surface Book covering my needs in the high end category (and nearly breaking the bank), I decided to pre-order the low-end Surface Pro 4. I'm optimistic that the improved pen, display, thinness and weight, coupled with the fanless Core M will make it an ideal mobile sketchbook: certainly an iPad Pro killer.

5. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think the Surface Book will be the end of the SP line at all. For one, the Surface Book is almost twice the cost of the lowest model of the SP4, so they'd be cutting quit a bit of market. Second, I don't think the SB fills the mobile space quite as well as the SP4. If I'm not mistaken, as a pure tablet the SB is inferior to t he SP4, it really shines with the tablet is docked. So if you lean more to the tablet form factor than the laptop, you'll still want a SP4. What I think is more likely is that the SP series may slide down a little in terms of its capability in order to lower the price further and it will basically be there to serve the crowd that wanted the S3 and some of the lower end SP users. Where as the SB series will cater to everyone else. In other words, I think this will spell the end of the regular Surface series no the SP series.

excalibur1814 likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just checked out my local Microsoft Store....they do have the Surface Pro 4 on Demo as well as the new pen (No Surface Book yet)

Few things.....Hovering lag has been early eliminated.....with use on the Pro 4

Using the new Pen on the Surface 3 or the Vivo Canvas....hovering lag is apparent

However using the Canvas/Vivo pen on the Pro 4 does not have the hover lag.

The back end Eraser Works on the Surface 3

The Nib is no longer removable by hand. The Nibs for the Pro3 pen you could pull out with your finger...the Pro4 Pen I could not remove.....

And one major issue.....while the Staff said the pen had a AAAA Battery in it....you can't unscrew the eraser end to get to it...believe me I tried unscrewing....and pulling....could not access the battery.

It was a demo pen....maybe that's why....but I think the Battery might not be user replaceable....meaning when it dies.....the pen dies and you'll have to buy a new one.

Using Fresh Paint and One Note on the Pro 4 with the Pro 4 Pen......hovering accuracy aside....it seemed no different then using the Pro 3 pen on the Pro 3

7. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Very interesting! But, how does the liquid return to the CPU?

Jim

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Given the unreliability of AAAA batteries, that would seem to be quite an engineering faux pas. There must be a way to replace the battery if there is one.

It is probably circulated by the pressure crated by the vaporization.

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting, so the hover lag problem seems to be primarily caused by the (too weak?) pen signal, not from the digitizer side.

The change in the tip assembly probably accounts for the reduced activation force and smoother pressure curve.

So now the question is, with the PixelSense sensor-board/firmware improvements, were they able to correct the other N-Trig problems, like the tail "hooks" at the end of strokes, and improve the stroke latency and vectoring in some WinTab applications.

10. johnchad14

johnchad14 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen some assumptions that the core-m is fanless, but if it's only 6 grams light I doubt it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.