Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. chongsen

chongsen Pen Pal - Newbie

touch screen lost 3 times after i switch to M3

have to reboot the device to recover the touch screen.

I think I almost lose my faith on Surface Pro 4 now. Even day one surface 3 is way more stable than that

alextrela182 likes this.
  2. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

The difference is Windows 10 which I think is the reason for many of the problems facing early adopters. I won't put Windows 10 on my SP2 as it has shown it is not yet compatible. I was hoping with the new hardware that MS would make sure the Windows 10 played nice with the Surface line but it doesn't appear to be the case which I find very baffling.

3. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have windows 10 on 3 of my tablets. Even my Chinese Cube i7 Stylus. It's not the problem

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

I was strictly talking about Win 10 and the Surface, Win 10 is great on my X360 Spectre but utter crap on my Surface Pro 2 which shouldn't be the case since it is MS hardware.

5. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep, Windows 10 on SP3, no problems. People are always scared to death of the newest Windows, "never leaving" their current version... Makes no difference what version we are talking about lol.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Windows 10 isn't perfect yet, but I tend to agree with Zeeloby. The issues SP4 and SB users are facing seem far more extreme than anything SP3 or S3 users are facing (with W10).

Kumabjorn, Zeelobby and dstrauss like this.
  7. JAMESMTL

JAMESMTL Pen Pal - Newbie

Been experiencing the same loss of touch screen on my i5.

The other issue I've been having is when I restart or power on with the keyboard under the kick stand it hangs until I either extend or remove the keyboard. Don't know if anyone else experiencing that one.

8. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now my SP4 isn't recognizing the battery charger. WTF?

9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder whether we are using a different criteria speaking of fan noise.

My expectation is that the tablet shuts down the fan completely for light use so that I should hear nothing when I put my ears on the venting holes where the fan sits. I don't think this expectation is absurd given most reviewers were saying that the SP4 is quiet even when running games like Crysis 2. Based on these reviews, my expectation for fan noise is set to Core M level to begin with (and fanless is what a tablet should be).

However, after getting the actual machine, what I find is that it is no different from my SP3. The fan still kicks in (randomly) for light use, and is constantly on under gaming or indexing. I had expected it to do much better given what the reviewers were saying. The SP4 is closer to a SP3 than to a S3 in terms of fan noise. Maybe my expectation is too high and misled by the reviewers (who may have completely different expectations).

The throttling issue that troubled SP3 might be gone, but I never felt my SP3 slow. Heck I could even live with Atom if it has big enough (and real) SSD and RAM.

I still remembered how I was cheated into buying SP3 as I recall Panos saying 'This thing is fanless. Another way to say fanless is “thin.” Another way to say fanless is “cool” to the touch. Another way to say fanless is you don’t feel the air.' Except it isn't fanless.

Now I feel like it's Deja Vu all over again. I am actually fine with a fanned machine, I just don't like the feeling of being cheated by media and salesman's bogus talk. This leads to great disappointment when you find out your new precious is only the same noisy device in a new coat.

alextrela182 likes this.
  10. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, it's such a great app for improved functionality, efficiency and ease. I just can't understand how Microsoft hasn't swallowed it up and made these gestures part of W10 (paying the creator instagram-like bucks in the process, one hopes).

alextrela182 and spinedoc77 like this.