Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My fan has been completely silent after the 1st 2 days, where it was atrocious. I suspect it was the indexing, but also downloading and syncing 80+ GB of onedrive files. Besides, if the fans keep it from throttling then I'm satisfied, especially over the SP3.

Bronsky likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm still having GPU issues, even with that new Intel driver. Occasionally the driver will still crash, but much less than before. Touch screen seems much less responsive than my SP3, maybe less accurate as well. I've also had a couple of episodes where the touch screen completely stopped working, everything else worked such as keyboard and trackpad, had to completely reboot to get touch screen to work again. Anyone else?

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I went back to the old driver again and I am wating on the official one from MS. the older driver for me was not as bad sure color issue on certain websites but noting that bad. the new driver for me was worse... freeze ups, screen response issues. error message where the display driver stop working. going back to the orginal one was better for me... but your mileage may very.

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

typing etc, seems slower to me like there was a delay ... put the same keyboard on the i5 and it was fine. for me the new replacement i5 did not fire up the fan on downloads, or windows updates, or the tons of store updates like the old i5 did for me. the only time that it fire up right now is xbox streaming so far (didn't install steam yet) and only hatter I have been playing for 30 min in.

Again maybe I am just smoking crack who knows lol

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

A few weeks until TH2 is GA

6. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an i5 and my fan ran a lot for the first two days. but I was installing a bunch of programs, syncing.. .NET was optimizing.. etc..etc. All my laptops and tablets have always had a burn in period of a few days before it settles down.

Same with the SPro4. .Now my fan doesn't come on at all even when I'm using Visual Studio 2015 with SQL Server installed and compiling and running. The only time the fan really comes on is if i'm streaming via Steam or if the Windows Defender kicks on.

7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

Same for me with the new driver.. my firefox was crashing again on this forum. Touch screen seems OK to me.. I've had the touchscreen stop working and had to reboot..

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The only thing that makes me think all of these problems are not wide-spread is that the Apple sucking tech press would be on this like a duck on a bug to try to destroy anything good Microsoft does and protect their fruit overlords.

9. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Eh. The consumer base for Surface products is also relatively small, especially early adopters. Surface devices are amazing/awesome in certain industries but corporate purchases make up a large amount of sales. I'd imagine most corps are waiting, testing, etc. If they're noticing defects they're returning batches to MS without making much hubbub. It'll be interesting to see if more news comes out, but I've never found reporting to be a good indicator of quantity of issues. Bendgate for the iPhone was massive, but in reality was a rather minimal issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why don'y you tell us how you really feel? :D

Jim