Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I can't find anywhere what i7 chip is in the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4...>>

...i7-6567U ?

2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

There are some folks at hardforum confirming the CPU on both Pro 4 and Surface Book are dual cores (including i7). Evidence on Microsoft's own sites also suggest that Surface Book uses a dual core i7 (with HD 520 graphics).

So Microsoft's statement of Surface Book (with 15W Skylake chips) being 2x faster than 13'' MacBook Pro (28W Broadwell chips) was not believable. There are already benchmark posted for Surface Book today. CPU benchmark from Geekbench shows the same results for the two devices.
    Surface Book i5-6300u vs. MacBook Pro 5257u

Also i7-6600u (SP4 uses i7-6650u with Iris 540) performs the same as i5-6300u in CPU benchmarks as well. The Core m3-6y70 that SP4 uses is only half the performance of the i5/i7 models. How does m3 compares to SP3 i3-4020Y? Only slight improvement.

So for those whose work don't rely much on GPU, SP4 i5 is still the best value/performance IMO. I was rather disappointed that no fanless tablet was announced. No smart frame either. If the battery and heating stays the same, not much value to upgrade from SP3.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Panos didn't simply say "twice the performance". He also said "two extra processors". So if he was wrong about that it would be quite the error... At this point though I'm more inclined to believe Panos's claim than this poster (about the number of cores, not necessarily the twice the performance claim). How was his information "confirmed"? For example, was it an MS store salesperson (whom are often misinformed)?

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Geekbench scores always struck me as very suspect for evaluating application performance. I found passmark cpu scores to be a much better general performance indicator.

For example, I believe that the 6y70 will be a noticeable bump over the SP3's i3, as even the 5y70 scores higher than the i3-4020Y in averaged CPU marks. This reflects my experience of the 5Y70 performing in-between the i3 and i5-4300U in general applications.

Furthermore, the reduction in TDP from 11.5W -> 4.5W should provide much more thermal headroom to keep the 6y70 from throttling in the SP4's active-cooled chassis. And at the very least, we should see significant graphics performance increase.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  5. Mesosphere

Well no bench mark is perfect, but I always assumed that when Panos said twice the performance he didn't mean every SKU had twice the performance. I assumed he meant best case as in the SKUs with quad core... of course quad core won't necessarily be twice as fast either. A quad core chip usually has slower single thread performance than its dual core counter part, and many tasks won't utilize all the cores efficiently, but of course these caveats always apply...

6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very Nice that MS offer entry level M3 SP4 with 128gb SSD and if eventually is fanless will be the Rock and roll with my Surface 3.

Both being fanless is perfect combination :p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

For once, I'm not interested in the slightest. It's not because both the SP4 and SB don't look cool. They both do. I'm just so happy with my SP3, I don't see a need to upgrade. I will get the new pen though. I'm glad those are compatible with the SP3.

8. Mesosphere

The new pen will work, but it doesn't appear that all the new improvements will carry over. Part of the improvements are in the hardware controller which exists in the tablets not the pen.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do we have any idea why MS remove side double button on new surface pen.
    For me it not sound very logical decision.
    Isn't going to be downgrade movement from MS or I'm wrong?

Isn't been better keep the button and give the manually adjustable option for behavior of button like Wacom does?

Sent from my iPad Air 2

10. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Just pulled the trigger on a custom i5/4/128. Still ships by 10/26; it looks like it's the i7s that won't ship until late November.

I'm actually not worried about throttling, bugs or Windows 10. I feel like I can work around those problems. The only buyer's remorse I have is with the digitizer. I had a Fujitsu with Ntrig, hated it, and got rid of it in less than a year. Other than that I've been in Wacom land for 12-13 years now. Of course I've tried out the SP3 in stores, and it seems okay, but you really can't tell until you live with it. Also, all of the Wacom pens I have lying around won't work (I still have the pen from my Motion M1200, and it still works).