Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randall Garrett

Randall Garrett Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, FWIW, the "Stylus" (sic) holder is available through MS, and so is the BT keyboard adapter. You can go directly to the MS store and search for "Cleanint Cleanstylus Holder" and/or "Wireless Adapter" to see either of them on-line. I have not personally seen them in our local store, but then I've not actually looked ;-)

-Randall Garrett-
    +Apex Software+

/end/

2. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

Amazon says my SP4 type cover will be delivered 10/28 to 10/31, but it hasn't been shipped yet?

Jim

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Short video of Archie artist Dan Paren testing out the SP4 and SB pen:
    http://www.cnet.com/videos/link/fp_ROMS3yrMOifwEvLof3PrKIH9IQ9hw/

He says he likes it more than Wacom because the tip and the eraser is "more sensitive". But, it seems like I'm still seeing some stroke lag (parallax illusion maybe?)...hmm, what do think? Or has he just not really used his Wacom very much? :p

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  4. alanxm

alanxm Pen Pal - Newbie

I just hoped i can preorder the black one. Currently only silver is available for preorder.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the chance to play with the SP4 at Best Buy last week for a bit (we're moving so I only had a few minutes) and came away really impressed. They let me download Sketchable which I'd never used before but had heard fairly good things about here and elsewhere. The pen was pretty sensitive, accurate and man, that eraser was impressive. Normally, I don't bother flipping my pen around on my t901 to erase but I might make an exception if/when I get the sp4 or Book. It was that good.

Back to sketching though. In regards to the "jitter", it seemed more to be my natural "hand shake" causing the jitter than anything else and frankly, it was barely noticeable. I don't normally draw slowly so I don't think it would be much of an issue for me. My biggest quibble was the same as my issue for the SP3: drawing on glass. I would guess (and maybe someone else could back this up) that a screen protector from Photodon could alleviate this issue. I love the "tooth" on my Fujitsu so if I could replicate that feel that'd be great.

One thing I did notice that I'm unsure about was the IAF when using Sketchable. I don't know if it was the program, the computer or just me but it seemed like it was a bit difficult to get a nice thin-to-thick line sometimes when using the brush tool in particular.

Otherwise, I'd like to see how it performs for me with the programs I use most like Photoshop, Manga Studio, Illustrator, etc. I can't wait for more artist reviews. I'd also really like to try the Book since I tend to draw in laptop mode and occasionally use 3d programs but Best Buy didn't have it on display yet.

Anyway, there ya go. Keep up the great posting, folks!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

The wireless adapter has the same pool of user reviews as the old one, so this may not be a newer revision after all. Maybe Microsoft is bringing back the wireless adapter on account of the Lenovo IdeaPad MIIX 700's included bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  7. m4600

m4600 Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Around the 1:41 mark it looks like you can really see the screen flexing as he presses down. Is that normal?
    Hopefully we don't have to wait much longer to hear some reviews from more artists

9. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes there is a flex on the glass if you press in hard.... but it comes right back. saw the same thing on the demo units. and the flex is the worst near the middle compared to the ends. I pressed in pretty hard on the glass with the pen and I never felt like I was going to break it...

it has to come from how thin the glass is on this thing. the SP3 was thicker so you never saw that. I think it will be ok honestly speaking it would have to be designed that way to give a little big of flex (since its noticeable on every video and demo unit I have played with) Not an artist but the screen flex was the first thing I noticed.

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else thinking of downgrading to win8.1? I wonder if you lose a lot of hardware features. I would assume you lose Windows Hello at the very least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.