Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Those charts don't seem to be for gaming. I was referring to the gpu clock throttling for the DOTA 2 test.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9727/DOTA2Perf_575px.png

The "throttling" in the images you attached looks like power saving during low activity.

I agree though that things look night and day better than they were for the SP3. CPU only tasks for example don't seem to thermally throttle at all. That alone is a huge step up from the SP3.

2. arg0

arg0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody can comment on audio quality? This will be a key factor for deciding between SP4 and "clones" from HP or Lenovo.
    I'm aware of the law of physics and don't expect the performance of large floor standing loudspeakers; nevertheless, even ultraportables can have terrific or terrible audio (e.g. Macbook Air and my current Fujitsu T731, respectively) and I wanted to know how the SP4 performs in this category.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One review stated that The Pro 4 is the same as the Pro 3 (adequate) and another stated that it's louder.

4. Aman

Aman Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you all know what I think ?
    Its a little bit childish but this is what I think.

I think as of today,
    Microsoft seems to be the only OS company on the planet who truly understands that designers, scientists and engineers need touch, file system and stylus all in one package.That's why surface is so exciting device.No amount of smartphones available today is so exciting. Surface is the future of mobile computing.
    Apple does not understand that real innovation is merging both a refereigator and toaster in a more aesthetically beautiful way.

My idea for the surface type cover 4 for next gen surface to be ergonomic while typing will be a touch screen keyboard cover.
    That's the best way to provide accurate typing experience on such a small keyboard space available.

A onscreen keyboard is certainly not as accurate as a big physical keyboard layout on SP4 but a touchscreen keyboard is more resposive and accurate than a very small physical keyboard layout on the Intel Atom Powered Surface 3.

No amount of new smartphones today are as exciting as the surface.
    Because it moves human race forward.

My dream is that everyone on planet should ideate using a stylus on a full fledged touch PC.

I do appreciate Apple's efforts in aesthetics.
    But sometimes to make products functional,u need to compromise on aesthetics.
    Otherwise while using products like iPad Pro in real life, those products become more lesser aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing than even a combination of a referigator and a Toaster.

Apple Fanboys you need to note this down.
    And Yes Hololens is more exciting and usuable than Apple Watch.
    I will rather prefer educating myself to be away from viruses and malware downloads than buying a outdated style MacBook which is still not even a MacPad with stylus.
    Today it is started looking to me as if Microsoft is looking more innovate than Apple and Windows is not that bad in terms of security as Android.

The iPad air was still okay as a great companion device but iPad pro as a laptop replacement is a ridiculous idea by Apple.
    if MacPad with stylus was reality,I may have also considered buying a MacPad instead of Surface Pro.Because we know how beautifully Apple crafts its products.
    Dear Apple, if you are hearing us, you are loosing on lakhs of Potential consumers this time around.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    HeavyHanded and alextrela182 like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Anandtech mentioned an interesting note about the pen:
    This is the first info I've heard about a new digitizer chipset. Is the G5 the official successor to the DuoSense2?

I find it particularly interesting that they are actually using gpu acceleration to reduce pen latency. Does anyone (@jnjroach nudge, nudge ;)) have anymore info on this?

Mesosphere likes this.
  6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft said as much to me, but was very sketchy about the details. But I was also told that some performance improvements this new chipset enables wouldn't be available until a later release (Threshold 2?).

sonichedgehog360 and Marty like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It's really only a 10% modulation centered about the peak clock speed that occurs after about 30 minutes of gaming--quite impressive. I've seen this slight fluttering behavior with some dedicated GPUs on laptops and it's been worse than this in some cases with some products. (I had an HP with a Radeon HD 7590M that would throttle down to about 60% peak clock after 10 minutes of gaming and it got burning hot.) Put in perspective, the Surface Pro 3 had an issue where it would half the iGPU clock after only a few minutes of heavy gaming. This is why some reviews show the Pro 3 with Fire Strike scores in the 600s and all the way down to the 300s. In practice, when playing a game for more than 5 or 10 minutes on the Pro 3, frames drop down by as much as half. That is one reason I was never particularly compelled by the Pro 3. But now, the Pro 4 has my undying attention.
    Pro 3 at 300 range Fire Strike score: http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/microsoft-surface-pro-3-1249750/review/3

Pro 3 at 600 range Fire Strike score: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9727/the-microsoft-surface-pro-4-review-raising-the-bar/5

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting...so we even more pen improvements to look forward to? Someone needs to dig in on this!

It sounds like we could have cross between NVidia's DirectStylus and ES pen tech!

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Let's hope it's not just fixes to known limitations.

10. hawkeye62

hawkeye62 Scribbler - Standard Member

I checked out the new type cover at BB this morning. It is much better than the older version for the SP3. It is much more like a real keyboard!
    I pre-ordered one from Amazon.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.