Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

;):D:cool:

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My Surface Pro 4 is possessed...

I thought I'd set up a used Dell XPS 15 we had here at the office to use the bigger screen for a while as I wait for year end developments - NO GO! IT which must not be named (SP4) had to be interfering, because first I couldn't get the XPS WiFi card to stay connected (hmmmmmm, curious) and after several resets and access point adjustments, I had Office 2016 loaded and going - I THOUGHT...

Nope, Outlook 2016 would not retrieve new emails no matter what I did until I disabled Exchange Cached Mode, then they would come in. But that's no good when you bounce around from place to place - no emails on the laptop until you can reconnect to the internet.

Of course, fired up IT and everything was running happy as a clam on IT...IT won't let me go...

Bronsky and Telstar1948 like this.
  3. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello! Has anyone had wake from sleep issues since the Oct 11 firmware updates? I've tried doing a complete reinstallation of windows but it didn't help. The power button works because I can do a long press reset but the unit never wakes from sleep now. Any ideas?

4. Tmstu64

Tmstu64 Pen Pal - Newbie

It's happened a few times. I've noticed it wouldn't wake up until I unplugged the power cord.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone had wake from sleep issues since the Oct 11 firmware updates?..>>

@mertzi : Yes; it's not just you. However, in my case it's my wife's Dell desktop that has developed this problem. Typical troubleshooting suggestions are:
    • Run the Power Troubleshooter (Settings > Update window) on the theory that the Fall Creator's Update did not set the power settings correctly. (I have found this to be ineffective.)
    • Update the Video driver on the theory that there is a compatibility issue. (Also found to be ineffective; In true form, the video drivers on the Dell Support site are actually older than the driver currently installed and the latest driver on the Intel site won't install, reporting an execution time error. In addition, Surface drivers are assumed to always be up to date because of Windows Update, but we know that sometimes the drivers on the Intel site are newer, but may not be "tuned" to account for Surface hardware uniquenesses.)
    Given the above, it's likely that we'll both have to wait for Microsoft to issue a patch to fix this problem. In the meantime, be sure to send feedback to Microsoft about your issue. And don't expect a patch too soon; Microsoft's track record is that it takes them months to get around to fixing things like this...

6. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your input! Glad to hear I'm not alone because I'd rather not go through another service exchange, already done 4, great hardware! I've narrowed it down further.

1. The only firmware that was updated Oct 11 is the one for "Surface Embedded Controller", is it at all reasonable that this can be the cause?

2. It's probably not Windows. I have tried a clean install of 1607, 1703 and 1709, with older and the newest drivers, problem still present.

3. This here is weird. Using an app that supports Connected Standby e.g. Groove, playing music circumvents the issue. As long as music is playing while in sleep mode, I can wake my Surface after longer periods. If Windows is just idling it just takes a minute after the screen turns off and it's impossible to wake it up.

Regarding feedback to MS, which is the best channel to do this? I've had correspondence with my country's Microsoft support, and while being very accommodating (not sure if proper word) the tech guy hasn't contributed to anything useful. He has recommended the standard procedures of using various troubleshooters, but they find nothing. And I doubt he will forward this information to anyone who can actually address the issue.

7. mertzi

mertzi Pen Pal - Newbie

An update. I have gone back to using hibernate only with no issues (besides longer wake up time of course). Today I did some more reading regarding "Surface Embedded Controller" specifically and found some interesting info. A previous firmware update of "Surface Embedded Controller" in May 2017 was specifically to address sleep battery drain, i.e. the Embedded Controller must have some relevance to sleep.

"Surface Embedded Controller Firmware (v103.1684.256.0) improves battery life during sleep." Source: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/surface/2017/05/26/updates-for-surface-pro-4-25-may-2017

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "if it aint broke, break it"-urge was too strong for the Surface team. Microsoft started to allow driver roll backs in Windows 10, why can't they do the same with firmware, at least to let users rule it out as cause for issues.

8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

Holy smokes! It took me six months to actually try it at a Best Buy but it is simply incredible. I just demoed the Wacom Bamboo Ink and it was so effortless and graceful that I was floored. It is a whole lot smoother than my Surface Pro 4's pen ever is. Quick question, though: Will it feel just as fantastic on my Surface Pro 4 as the AES-enabled devices I was trying it on at the store?

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Were the screens of the AES devices textured? or was the screen similar to the SP4? super glossy/slippery?

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Editor-in-Chief of TechAndTiny Senior Member

They were smooth/glossy like my SP4 which has a glass screen protector installed.

UPDATE: I went to Best Buy tonight, demoed the stylus on my SP4 and I was instantly sold. The so-called lag that some refer to on the display edges only occurs when hovering. When the tip is on the surface, it is just as precise as when it is at the center of the display. If I hold the pen on the display, with the tip facing directly downward, pressure is already detected--in other words, much lower IAF than the Surface Pro 4 pen. The pressure curve also feels much smoother--it reminds me of the Surface Pro 2's Wacom EMR pen in many ways. The tip is also followed far more accurately on grid lines which is incredibly useful for engineering work when I am taking down notes and sketching rough diagrams and plots in virtual grid paper. All in all, this is well worth the price. In the end, I was able to grab an open box unit for $10 cheaper that was, for all intents and purposes, brand spanking new--the factory-applied plastic wrapping was still secured around the pen and the battery hadn't even been touched!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017