Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone using the SP3 dock with the SP4 and getting charging issues? I came into my office today and my SP4 was at 1% after sitting over the weekend in my office (it's new home). The power icon said it was connected but not charging, weird. I took it out of the SP3 dock and put it back in and it charged up, but VERY slowly. It's been 4 1/2 hours and its at 49%, although it's been on and used constantly since then at 100% brightness. Is that normal? I seem to remember it charged up faster when I used it as my mobile machine, but maybe not.

I'm wondering if it's not sitting in the SP3 dock, I recall there being a plastic adapter MS gave out for this situation, will have to research that.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Need to fess up to a success story today - the SP4 made it through an hour and half meeting of note taking on top of a Word doc without th epen or SP4 locking up on me! I know that sounds sarcastic, but lately it has been a chore to get through a meeting without one or the other requiring a reset of some sorts.

Bronsky and JMac like this.
  3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Sad to hear that this counts as a success story. What were you doing? Pen-o-tating a Word doc? It's ridiculous how much worse that is than annotating a PDF in Drawboard.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. dstrauss

Actually, pen annotating in Word is getting better. What is frustrating is the pen just quittting, or the SP4 locking up - then fubar. Drawboard is good, but there are still no easy to user PDF annotation software. As common as that is, what gives with that.

5. dbrn

I'll have to take your word on Word, but I'll give it a try at my next opportunity. I gave up on it completely with my SP3, to the point where I'd either copy and paste in Onenote or save as a PDF. What are your difficulties with Drawboard? I find it pretty perfect and reliable. But, maybe lawyers have very specific (read: billable) annotation needs that academics don't.

6. dstrauss

No real "legal" requirement - the design is just complicated and it can slow down like molasses in January at times, even on my 16gb i7. Sometimes I don't have time to convert a Word docx to PDF, so I need to edit as I visit with a client. I also have problems with annotations disappearing at times.

7. dbrn

Guess I've been lucky with it. Either that, or your name is Dale :rolleyes:.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dunami

dunami Pen Pal - Newbie

Is anybody using an external pen display tablet with their SP4? Particularly a Huion? Does it require you to remove the surface drivers to use it or can you install the Huion drivers and go back and forth pretty easily?

9. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree that Drawboard is a bit confusing from an interface standpoint... maybe you have to have the Dial to solve that. But with only a small number of programs using the dial, I've not bought one. I tried several different ones and came back to it though, because ever other one I tried the inking interface was horrid. The bad part about Drawboard to is that it doesn't come with a preview, so you can't make it the default viewer for PDF if you want previews in explorer.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I had this problem in one of the early versions of Drawboard but haven't lost anything in quite some time. Is your version up to date? I tend to use the save and exit button. I use drawboard for most everything. It's only the very large files or functions like Bates Numbering that drive me back to Acrobat Pro XI.

dbrn and dstrauss like this.