Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Probably less battery

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm thinking lack of a fan and/or a different heat sink. The 20g difference doesn't buy you a much smaller battery (only ~2Whr)... hardly seems worth it.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Nope - new keyboard, dock, and pen on pre-order. My son (the new law professor) has the University picking up a Surface Book i5/8gb/256gb model, so after I see it at Thanksgiving I may have a change of heart. In fact, I'm not even having the usual DT's for not yet pushing the pre-order button - weird :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

In fact, the only regret, four hours later, is the hoped quietness of the SkyLake SPro 4...

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  5. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

6. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't find anywhere what i7 chip is in the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4. Is it a true QUAD CORE or still a dual core? Anyone who which CPU, in particular?
    I don't want to spend the extra on an i7 and still wind up with a dual core.

7. Mesosphere

In the presentation they certainly seemed to say that it was quad core, but in a very wishy-washy way (double the mac book). However we don't know which models have it. None of the documents seem to mention it, which kind of makes ordering one hard.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I ordered a new Surface Pen and had the Type Cover in my cart but removed it. I've survived this long without a keyboard (fine for my very limited typing and use-case), so I will give it a little bit to decide whether I'll be upgrading or getting a Miix 700.

Since the Miix 700 comes with a keyboard and with an 8GB RAM Core M variant (SP4 does not), the final pricing of an 8GB Miix may come out to relatively equal pricing of the SP4 with double the RAM and Wacom.

A better pen for my i3 SP3 can keep me satisfied in the meantime, and if the penning experience is greatly improved, may sway my future decision making.

ColoKaren likes this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yeah, the lack of concrete specs in the presentation was kind of appalling, somewhat akin to the frequency of "awesome" and "amazing".

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

gcoupe, Azzart, soh5 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mesosphere

Unfortunately, Mr. Jobs proved that was a more effective way to sell devices than actually giving concrete details.