Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Right. So run newer software instead of insisting that companies support you ten years after the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

That said, some people still use plenty of old software that has reached end-of-life long ago without issues. They don't need active support or the latest and greatest features. I understand the sentiment of wanting to support a great company that produced an excellence piece of software. But if the old software works just fine and the user don't need anything more, why buy something more? Besides, Office 2007 works just fine in Windows 10 last I used it.

3. sonichedgehog360

You mean October 2017, right?

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have several dictionary applications that haven't been renewed in more than a decade because the underlying dictionary hasn't. Only way I can run these are on obsolete hardware.

Seriously guys, you need to remove those parochial glasses you sometimes wear. There is a huge world outside the U.S. that is very different from how things are at home. You constitute less than 5% of the world's population, so stop behaving like you are 50%.

Digital artist found dead in home. Details sketchy.

5. sonichedgehog360

I agree. For example, certain engineering workstation motherboards are still equipped with very ancient ISA card slots from the early 90's since the measurement equipment and associated software is still very essential. Backwards compatibility applies to a host of other industries as well: travel, shipping logistics, health care, education, government, energy, and so on. Backwards compatibility is a huge plus about Windows that other OSes just can't lay claim to. I think the recent interest in not being backwards compatible is due to one of Paul Thurrott's articles today. In it, he mentioned how he believes Windows will eventually completely move on from classic Windows applications and transition to Modern apps, stating this as certain fact. Sorry, but I still see classic Windows applications being supported for at least one if not two more decades. Will Modern Apps quite possibly become most prevalent? Maybe. But ever replace classic applications altogether? Nope. Backwards compatibility is a must. Period.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    dellaster likes this.
  6. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm going to chime in on the obsolescence question from a very different perspective. My daughter is severely disabled: quadriplegic and non-verbal because of cerebral palsy. She is also multi-lingual with fluent knowledge of English and Italian and school level knowledge of French and German. There is NO commercially available software that can meet her needs, so I have developed a system just for her (with lots of help from Mike Stewart in the U.S.). She accesses the system with either two head-operated switches and/or a gaze tracker, can switch between input methods and languages "on the fly" and much more. Unfortunately, almost every change of OS has meant a massive amount of work for Mike and me and there's no one out there to lean on for this. With the change from XP to Win7 we lost her Eudora email access (and I still haven't found the time to configure a replacement client), and with the change from Win7 to Win10 we've lost control of the gaze tracker hardware, but, after several months, we are getting close to getting that back. BTW - ribbons are a total disaster for those with motor disabilities and, for example, for drawing Rachele is using the version of MSPaint that shipped with XP because she can't access newer versions, and for image viewing she is using IrfanView rather than any MS inaccessible mishmash.

I'll bet that most people who are using the latest version of Microsoft Office (and other programs) aren't doing anything much that they couldn't do with older versions, but forcing everyone to buy "new" means that those with disabilities become yet more excluded.

7. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How little is our scope when we air our grievances over issues like hardware and software. My heart goes out to you LROBBINS and your daughter and family. Thank you for broadening my perspective and my renewed sense of humility for forgetting all too often how lucky I am not to have to face the challenges you all must cope with on a daily basis. I am sorry if my words fail in expressing what your post made me feel within myself...but I could not not reply. I wish I could do more than just offer words. I hope that you can get your programs and hardware back up to where they give your daughter the access she wants and needs.

8. sonichedgehog360

This is an outrage. Truly, the minor details that we find bothersome or detracting are inconsequential and trivial compared to the extraordinarily large challenges of reality that many of life's best souls are required to endure. I also share my heartfelt care and concern for the challenges that technological advances present you and your family when software and operating system developers rush products to market and forget to have everyone in society in mind.

I know of a few friends in my church who deal with similar struggles with non-accessibility-friendly technology, including a friend who was quadriplegic from birth, and a recently dearly departed friend, blind from birth, who used his computer for musical production. I have poignant, pleasant memories of aiding my father while I was yet a youth to help set up the second friend's computer for XP and all the backend troubleshooting required just getting his voice assistant for the blind to run properly.

My hope and prayer is her situation improves as the years go on so your brave and strong fighter of a daughter can have the very best tools technology can-–and should–offer her, always at her disposal. As our society's technology becomes more capable and sophisticated, so should our ability to heal and empower the lives of everyone.

I personally believe there is absolutely no excuse for this. We should be always progressing and absolutely never regressing on this front of accessibility since the underlying technology is clearly there, becoming evermore capable. Whatever is wrong should be rectified and reversed immediately if accessibility is being sidelined and botched in OS and software development.
    ---
    A thought: you certainly can always relay your experience to our forum's resident high-level Microsoft employee MVP @jnjroach (I quoting him here will already notify him so he can read your post: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-pro-4-discussion-thread.67857/page-393#post-495602 ) so the necessary people in the Windows and Office teams are notified of this situation.

A final thought: though I have no experience with this particular email client, one of these two guides might help with the issue of getting Eudora working in Windows 10 if that is still your preferred client.
    http://ian.tresman.co.uk/how-run-eudora-v7-windows-10.htm
    http://windowsreport.com/eudora-problems-windows-10/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    southdunes, michaelws and dellaster like this.
  9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Correct - editing post to correct the typo :)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. PhysicalTherapyGuy

PhysicalTherapyGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I commend your effort to ensure your daughter as a window to the "outside" world. I'm going to school for physical therapy, and already had some patients with similar accessibility challenges. I wonder if perhaps you could write to Microsoft about these accessibility challenges, and perhaps they'd have some solutions or support that could be provided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.