Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

If it is the same key you used before and it is now showing up as invalid, just follow the instructions in Office to revalidate the code over the phone. You may need to reinstall first as @Kumabjorn advises and then follow this procedure. I have to do this all the time with older versions of Office when moving from one system to another. Microsoft just wants to be sure you aren't double dipping with their license keys is all.

Still... You may have some file corruption going on that is causing this, either from a bad SSD or a virus. I have dozens of Office 2007 keys lying around from an old TechNet subscription. For me at least, Microsoft's activation servers no longer seem to check to see how many times I used the same key. This is typically the case with older versions of Windows (either XP or 2000 and earlier; can't remember which) and versions of Office (2007 and earlier).

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

All right, I'll give that a shot when I get back to the Office reinstallation point. Thanks, guys. One less headache.

3. sonichedgehog360

Just know this: if you ever purchase an Office key for a non-subscription Office product, it is never gone for good or used up once you install it on one machine. It is always transferrable. You can always use it on any one machine so long as you are not using it on two or more machines at the same time. (This is similar to how it works with the older versions of Adobe Creative Suite, too, except they limit you to two, not one, machines actively using your license.) Simply uninstall it off the old machine or wipe the old machine with the partition holding the installation. Then install it on the new machine, enter the key, see the wizard tell you the key may already be in use on another machine, and then follow the on-screen instructions for activating over the phone.

4. sonichedgehog360

Note: The activation process is the same for Office 2007 as well. You may or may not get the first image if you try activating over the Internet. In that case, simply go back and instead select the phone option.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I went through all that, once. It would hang up on me after asking how many computers I had it installed on and I answered "one". This was during my intense frustration with Windows 7, when it was new--I figured it was Windows "7" because it took that many complete reinstalls to make it work right. After the eight reinstall I gave up...

... And bought a Mac.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

Someone must have used up your license or the activation servers were having issues then. I believe this activation issue with a prior used license also applies with the Mac version of Office as well, unfortunately. Not to downplay your experience, but I have done this literally dozens of times for VMs and such and I have had zero issues. I know it is frankly annoying having to type in that almost 100-digit long code. Fortunately, as of the last couple of years, now when you do the phone activation, they give you a text message option instead of dealing with their automated robo-agent. The text message is actually a web link and I email that link to my computer to do the activation copy pasta-style from my computer which is worlds easier.

7. perry59

perry59 Pen Pal - Newbie

and the wonder why people pirate software

8. sonichedgehog360

:D

Even so, like I explained above, they now offer text message activation in tandem with the usual over-the-phone activation.

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

One thing to take into consideration is Office 2007 is at End of Life and will no longer be supported or patched after October 2017 (I created much of the content around Office 2007 EOL for MS).

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  10. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a shame because Office 2016 is a hot mess.

This is pretty much where I am. I don't have the time for any more MS issues. Apple can't be any worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.