Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

I dunno about "great" here... I'll repeat my thoughts from Reddit, earlier:

I'm skeptical of this review. How can this author possibly proclaim this:

But seriously think that different pen nibs will evoke different lines on the screen?

Wacom has sold a variety of nibs , from plastic, to felt, to spring-loaded, for years. They're just little pieces of plastic... There's no tech in them, and no way for the digitizer to know the difference between one another. It is incredibly bizarre to me that someone claiming intimate familiarity with pen tech doesn't know this.

Cringe.

Koryand'R, Azzart and Mesosphere like this.
  3. iridescentFUZZ

iridescentFUZZ Pen Pal - Newbie

This kind of worries me. What if you're someone who draws with the tablet a lot, and reach max or close to max pressure with the pen nib often?

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wonder if @Seel is simply not used to seeing it (currently using a EP121?). Ripples occur on most devices these days... certainly on my S3. The only recent device I've used where this didn't occur was the AVN8 (because there was a significant gap between the touch screen and LCD). I haven't heard of any cases of it resulting in a problem. Or maybe it is actually greater on the SP4 than other recent devices (I haven't seen one yet)?

Dungeoness Claw likes this.
  5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I hope so. But in the videos I've seen so far, it is pretty apparent. Even with a light touch. It could be OK tho

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

[QUOTE="Zeelobby, post: 451280, member: 41201

dstrauss said:
    We need Marty to go back in time and have Microsoft buy Wacom instead of N-Trig...
    "Oh man. Dream come true. Affordable Wacom, ha-ha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Time Warp

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What if you're someone who draws with the tablet a lot, and reach max or close to max pressure with the pen nib often?..>>

...Then I'd suggest that you try to use a lighter touch. Would you think it reasonable to use the same pressure if you were painting on a canvas as you can use on boardstock? I wouldn't think so. Every artist has to adjust to the media that he is using, and doing art on a tablet is no different. Bear in mind that you can easily adjust the pen pressure curve so that you never have to exert maximum pressure on the pen in order to get maximum line density...

8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

well, it's not so simple...
    I hope microsoft learned from the mistakes of the surface pro 3 because with its standard pressure curve it was simply impossible to reach the maximum pressure level. and the other preset curves were useless in a way or the other.
    I had to always use Lazy nezumi to set the pen in a way that it took around half the force to reach the maximum pressure and at least reduce the tedious lcd aura effect caused by the pressure on screen. ;)

not counting something like lazy nezumi pressure curve overwrite needlessly taxes the cpu.

iridescentFUZZ likes this.
  9. iridescentFUZZ

iridescentFUZZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Problem is it worries me about using it at any level of pressure above initial activation. The only two penabled devices I've used are my Note 3 and a friend's Surface Pro 2, and both those devices have a nice hard display. I would be a little hesitant to buy it without it having been tested for a good 3 months by artists.

10. delimeat567

delimeat567 Pen Pal - Newbie

There's always the hesitation of wanting to wait for other users to use the device before you do. Make them spend the $1200, right? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.