Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Windows 10 - EMR Pen 10.6" (3:2) 1080p res, 128gb storage, 4gb of ram, Core M solution would be awesome, but we will never see this combination. Ever.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hopefully it has decent battery life. The battery life on my sp4 sucks, and it still drains when sleeping.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I know, The Leaker (original source) said a S Pen in box, but later comments (including some here) said they thought it was an AES pen similar to what they finally released for the original Tab S Pro...I'm hoping they salvaged all those S-Pens from the GN7 and toss them in the box! o_O:)

Bronsky and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The original Tab Pro S wasn't AES, it had a re-branded Creative Stylus 2—a passive ES monstrosity that was swapped in from the original EMR design the early leaks and press shots showed.

I'd love to know how Samsung came to the decision neutering their tablet would somehow help their product. I mean if they wanted to go thinner, then use Wacom AES for god's sake! What's with this last-minute hacked-together solution?! :confused:

Now praying that Samsung has recovered from the hangover, and the Pro S 2 has the EMR is was meant to have. :)

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Funny you should mention that pen. I just left my local Best Buy which had one in stock along with a gold edition TabPro S. The TabPro S was sleek and lightweight--it was quite effortless holding it single-handedly and subjectively felt better distributed weight-wise than the Huawei Matebook the last time I had demoed it over Christmas break. The pen, though: it has just a metal charged ES tip, a metal BB of sorts like a ball point pen tip, though it was plugged in and charging when I demoed it. It is basically one of those statically charged passive pens (e.g. this: https://www.amazon.com/DotPen-Android-Smartphones-Machined-Aluminum/dp/B00MGU8LIK ; the DotPen) that are mislabeled as active: only "active" in the sense that that an electric charge is sent through the tip in an effort to improve touch recognition and accuracy. However, in my informal hands-on testing, the pen was no better than my finger and had zero pressure sensitivity to speak of: just on or off. In fact, it did not work 90% of the time and it was fat (1/3-inch thick or more), bulky, and unwieldy though its flaky nature could in all likelihood be attributed to it being subjected to the abuse of all floor models. In short, it felt much worse than the Adonit Jot Pro passive stylus I had used with a no-name 8-inch Windows tablet. Monstrosity is a huge understatement!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not often that you encounter an "active stylus" that actually makes the 1st-gen Synaptics pens look good... :p

Well done, Samsung. You have managed to make the world's worst active pen solution, while being partnered to the world's best. :D

kvoram and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Having personal experience with Synaptics and a personal disgust for it, I would gladly take all the warts and headaches of my late Dell Venue 11 Pro and Venue 8 Pro's Synaptics pen over this... thing. At least that pen worked most of the time and I could take notes with it and I could get some semblance of pressure sensitivity, even as kindergartener-ish as it made my penmanship.

On the other hand, the only good use for this Samsung pen was for a paperweight and, to give credit where credit is due, it did do an impressive job at that, given its bulk and largeness and all.

Steve S, Bronsky and kvoram like this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Having 1 month the Tab Pro S the battery life was 1.5 hour better than i5 Pro 4.
    But that because Samsung had battery friendly OLED-lower screen resolution than Pro 4 and slightly bigger battery capacity(39.5Wh vs 38.2)

Hope successor Tab Pro S2 being at same level minimum.

As for the Pro 5 I I doubt will see any kind improvements on battery life since probably will introduce 4K resolution,same LCD technology and small battery capacity.

Only realistic option of getting truly great battery life is a power Cover option with built in battery.

It would be less portable compared to traditional Type Cover but will have much better battery life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    spinedoc77 likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

All of the comments about the pen for the Tab Pro S are true - fat (both circumference and pen point), clumsy, poor performance. This, of course, is coming from a Best Buy test driver - HOWEVER - I never once saw another person looking at the Tab Pro S, much less testing out the pen.

That gives me hope they will do it right this time with the the S2 and support the leakers that it will really be an S Pen...I do believe in S Pen, I do, I do, I do, I do
    [​IMG]

sonichedgehog360 and Bronsky like this.
  10. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

Impressive, but they lost me at 4GB RAM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.