Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

kvoram likes this.
  2. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

How about a type cover with a battery? (Wishful thinking here.)

3. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have SurfacePro4_Win10_161521_0.zip? If yes, pleas upload it and share the link with me. We can easily check what's new and stop speculate ;)

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I just saw here:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/feature/samsung-galaxy-tabpro-s2-might-debut-this-month/
    "Samsung will bundle the second-gen Windows TabPro with an S-Pen active stylus and a clip-on keyboard, making it a true 2-in-1. "

Obviously no silo, but with my experience on their low end Tab A 10.1, the Wacom EMR experience may really take me out of the Surface running. Everyone around here knows I'm a shill for Wacom EMR technology - for me, it is just so much better of a tactile experience. Samsung may be getting a new customer, because with a GN8 (or even a low cost used GN5) in my pocket as well, I'd still always have a stylus all of the time for every occasion.

spinedoc77 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

^This is exactly why I said a week or so ago that Samsung is squarely placing the TabPro S2 as a Surface Pro 5 competitor.

Perhaps it won't satisfy the extreme mobile power users who need the last word in performance in tablet form. But for those who want a more featherweight load and a more effortless stylus experience, this could be just the thing. If they further somehow pull off making it fanless and non-throttling with an i5-7200U under the hood, they could really steal some thunder from Microsoft.

Though we still have yet to see what all improvements Surface Pro 5 will bring to the table, and it could very well totally wipe the floor with the TabPro S2 in these key areas. At release, the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book were far ahead of the competition in nearly all areas. I am certain Microsoft has been very busy perfecting their Surface Pro 5 design in-house at Surface Labs to reach a similar jump in market-leading innovation. I am suspecting we will be treated to a similar "WOW!" moment soon again. Maybe Surface Pro 5 will crack the 1.5 pound weight barrier, offer a better Wacom/N-trig hybrid pen, and have the ports we have been clamoring for?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

First - let's move our discussion of the Tab Pro S2 over to its rightful forum:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-s2.71754/

Now, before we leave here, I do fear that the Surface Pro 5 could shock all of us - somehow they have always brought something with incredible "WOW" factor and would expect the same here. Maybe it will mop the floor with the Pro S2 - but the one thing it WON'T have, under any circumstances, is Wacom EMR technology, and that prospect of an S Pen in the box, and the opportunity to have one in my pocket in a GN5 or GN8, may be too much to resist.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wacom EMR is so much better IMO, Samsung may definitely sway me away from the surface line. Hopefully the Note 8 is nice and compliments their tablet.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

sonichedgehog360 and dstrauss like this.
  9. dstrauss

A lot of folks think I'm nuts for feeling the same way, and of course it is very much personal preference. However, I think we are suffering mightily from the "settling" mentality - we so desperately want ink in Windows that we are willing to settle for whatever they give us, and thus it becomes "good enough" until you go back and experience the gold standard.

I'm going to stop posting about EMR vs N-Trig/AES here anymore because it is clear that Microsoft, and now even Wacom, are committed to their chosen alternative. My real hope is that Samsung stays the course with the S Pen and becomes the leader (even if only a minority) of the EMR movement.

sonichedgehog360 and spinedoc77 like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Samsung has never used the S-Pen brand for an AES pen. I 'm going to wait and hope for EMR. Hopefully, Samsung adds the same to the new 9.7" tablet coming too.

dstrauss, sonichedgehog360 and soh5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.