Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

Good points about the i5 and i7 fans. I'm inclined to buy another i7 just because there's nothing else out there that I want as much and because I have an investment in a keyboard and other accessories from my previous but brief i7 ownership. I find a warranty to be less than reassuring though. Any return for repair or replacement means that when I get it back I've got to spend another ~6 weeks of my time installing software and transferring files back onto it again not to mention using a suboptimal laptop in the interim.

2. LROBBINS

LROBBINS Scribbler - Standard Member

Droidophobe,

Perhaps it's time to invest in Clonezilla (it's free) so that you can periodically make an image of your entire disc on an external device. That way when replacement is needed, you just restore the image rather than having to reinstall and reconfigure everything.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It may not be the desired data point, but my bet is it is more accurate of actual results than "seeing" a lot of problems on the internet, because we all know affected users rail and unaffected users just watch the parade going by. I NEVER had a fan issue with Surface Pro 4, so add me to Jeff's data point...

4. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Same here, still using it daily, never had a problem with the fan running excessively even when using VMs.

5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I'll start a simple thread with a poll asking this.

6. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

7. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

Good idea. Thank you.

Another good idea. However, I suspect with my technical skills this may take 6 weeks also.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey guys, I've been having this issue for a while and just wanted to see if it was something MS does on purpose. In Settings/Sign in options you can set how long windows waits until you have to sign in again up to 15 minutes. When using Windows Hello it's greyed out so you can't select a time, it forces you to sign in every time with a message "Windows Hello is preventing some options from being shown"

I've read everything about TPM issues and troubleshot this for a while, I'm pretty satisfied my TPM is working as intended and there is no lockout. If I disable Windows Hello then that sign in option/pulldown works perfectly whether with PIN, password or picture password. It's only when Windows Hello is enabled that it's greyed out.

So is this as designed? If so it's massively annoying having to sit there and wait for Windows Hello to do its thing every single freakin time.

Screenshot (14).png

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I have exactly the same - IIRC this is by design:

upload_2016-11-20_12-48-56.png

spinedoc77 likes this.
  10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was afraid of that, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.