Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Two problems since anniversary update-
    • Pen eraser click shortcuts are not working
    • I can not personalize handwriting anymore in control panel handwriting settings
    Sketch (5).png
    Anybody else with a similar problem?

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Return it and get replacement.
    It doesn't sounds normal.
    Browsing with either Edge,I.E,Chrome(btw with latest update chrome it's very smooth and much battery friendly than recent past and prefer it over Edge or I.E.) watching YouTube video,consumption,social media,downloading,streaming OneNote taking,Word/Excel not having any kind of fan.

Only from time to time the fan wakes up when working and charging simultaneously but at low level and not disturbing.

We won't get any kind refresh SP4 with Kaby Lake.

Will wait spring 2017 until SP5 released with Kaby Lake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

As of today, the Surface Pro 4 finally has a newly updated recovery partition, version 15_6.6.0, up from version 15_5.223.0, which presumably now incorporates Anniversary Update as the base build. In line with this assumption, I checked the time stamps for the recovery image SWMs (install.swm, install2.swm) and their creation dates now show a post-Anniversary Update release date of August 10.

A reason you might want this recovery image is if you ever need to do a full factory reset and you desire to maintain the default pen button settings (OneNote, Cortana, screen capture) after said reset. Personally, I found Anniversary Update to pose a problem in this regard when I upgraded to it from even a clean factory reset state of my Surface. At that point, if I then opted to factory reset to simply clean everything up after the Anniversary Update upgrade had concluded, the pen button settings awkwardly defaulted to Anniversary Update's generic settings rather than the Surface's out-of-box associations which I noted above.

As usual, you can download the recovery image for the Surface Pro 4 and all other Surface devices via this link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/surface/e...ervice-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

wataru and siddhartth like this.
  4. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

After anniversary update when booting I notice a white window briefly flash in upper left area of desktop. It disappears before I can see what it is. Any idea what this is?

It's not a problem, but little annoying if I open a program and here comes that flash.

SP4/I7/256

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It is the newish Surface Service....

6. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, updating Windows to the latest anniversary update along with the latest O365 update sorted this.

But now I have a weird side-effect, in that the inking in Word is now not smooth. The lines are jagged. But in OneNote the inking lines are still smooth. Anyone have any ideas if there is a setting I need to change somewhere?

7. Droidophobe

Droidophobe Scribbler - Standard Member

FWIW, it's been nearly a week and I haven't heard the fan at all again, let alone the loud fan noise. If it only comes on during massive Win updates, I can live with that.

Marty likes this.
  8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I guess your problem sorted out itself.

Droidophobe likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

I saw that during the game and wondered what level of commentary it would elicit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.