Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have bought this machine but i was hoping these things were available to less fortunate students at a cheaper price from the government etc like where it runs just one note taking app. No browser, no nothing and an open source OS and notetaking App that records audio and handwriting. Proprietary solutions like Surface, Windows and Onenote are not within reach of most students. Especially students with slower handwriting ability who can not keep up with the lecture speed.

It almost feels so unfair that because i have money i can buy this supergadget that records and saves lectures and handwriting, this device would have given me a big advantage over others if i had gotten it a 4 months back when my classes began. It feels like priveledge of unfair kind.

Bronsky and dbrn like this.
  2. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Which model are you using i5, M3?

3. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Privileges usually are unfair ;). Use your privilege to get yourself to a place where you can help the ones you can't help right now!

4. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using an M3 SP4.

5. siddhartth

That's what I have been telling my self. :)

Me too. How much did it cost you ? when did you when did you order?

6. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

I got mine for 599$ with the student discount. I stumbled upon the deal in Microsoft's online store last Sunday. I needed the device right away for school, so I went to a Microsoft retail store to get it that same day I saw the deal.

siddhartth likes this.
  7. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I've got a question for the audience that likely applies since extra battery life is nice for 12 hour days and camping trips. Will the m3 Surface Pro 4 work with 12V powerbanks? The official answer per the power adapter would be a "no," but I have heard conflicting answers from owners across the Internet.

A user here claims a 12V Aukey powerbank was fully compatible with their m3 Pro 4 ( http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...a-portable-powerbank.19244/page-2#post-164848 ). NotebookCheck also claims to have charged an m3 Pro 4 with a 12V Surface Pro 3 power adapter: "we were forced to acquire a Surface Pro 3 adapter with which to power and charge the unit instead" ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3-Tablet-Review.153843.0.html ).

On the other hand, some say no. Qi-infinity, manufacturer of a very popular powerbank that is commonly used with the Pro 3 and Pro 4, claims there must be support for 15V to charge the m3 unit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3tyea6/powerbank_for_the_sp4/ )

Does anyone have a 12V powerbank and/or a Surface Pro 3 charger, as well as an m3 Pro 4 handy who can get to the bottom of this? Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  8. siddhartth

I got it for $890, 2 weeks back. It was on sale. My educational life where one has to go to a class and take notes is over this week. Just 3 more classes. I wish microsoft released it 2 years earlier. There was no penabled windows laptop in India at the time. I have two years worth of undigitized notes.

I hope you use it to the fullest. I m glad you picked up it at a discount. Students deserve better prices :). Surface pro 4 is a perfect device for students.

I really like how the rubber tip feels against the glass. Friction is almost like paper.

I really don't need a screen as good as SP4 or windows 10 professional or wide color gamut. I hope in future Microsoft can bring the price further down for students with options of lower resolution and windows 10 home but the same size of screen i.e. 12.3".

would you want that sort of option? If it was available?

Kritter likes this.
  9. Kritter

Kritter Pen Pal - Newbie

Honestly I prefer the size of a Surface 3 for both note-taking and studying. The 12.3 inch screen gives you a large writing estate but at the same time feels too big. This is even more noticeable when I'm reading my notes and ebook in portrait mode. The device just becomes a huge block that you read from which I sometimes feel is awkward. I was able to play around my classmate's Surface 3 and I wished that at this point in time when I needed it the most, there was a Surface 3 with the specs of the base SP4 M3. The pen definitely has room for improvement. Even after I did surfaceproartist's tips in making strokes better, in the end I still think that my Bamboo Smart Wacom pen has the most natural handwriting experience. Extra pressure sensitivity doesn't really affect me but I would really want to see a more natural handwriting experience with the SP4 pen.

Then again, I've started to appreciate the size of my SP4. When I tutor, the extra screen size gives a portable presentation device that really helps a lot in the job especially with the use of pdfs and powerpoints. I also find myself using the type cover with it to type quick documents when I'm outside (I still prefer to write docs on my main laptop). Considering all these together, I agree that it is one of the best device for students.

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I have to admit that I'm very surprised by the latest posts and superior battery life on M3 version.

I had 2 unit M3 version in December and none had better battery life than my current i5 version.

Never but never get more than 6 hours even light working with minimum brightness(10%)

And yes it's kind difficult to believe in miracles through drivers/firmware updates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luft and siddhartth like this.