Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yeah - I know you all anointed it "Surface Air" but for me that is too close to MacBook Air, which MS claims to target with the Surface Pro 4. I'm thinking more of a direct competitor for the iPad Pro 9.7 with a kickstand and Surface keyboard (in fact, I would love to see a revival of the Touch Keyboard for this purpose - keep it as thin as humanly possible).

BTW - are you implying it would be "refreshing" if I was correct for once?

Bronsky likes this.
  2. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

That's how I interpreted it :p .

Mesosphere and Bronsky like this.
  3. dstrauss

I know this a Surface Pro 4 forum, but I have to recommend an article by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes (yes, AK-H) that all of us should point naysayers to:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-why-2-in-1-pcs-are-destroying-the-ipad-and-android-tablets/

We all know this to be true, but it is so rare to see a mainstream (read - Apple using) tech journalist outs the dirty little secret of how Windows 2-in-1's are kicking tablet a$$:

"Here's the problem. What I've typed so far for this article, I could have easily done on any tablet. It's mostly been a stream of consciousness, and all that requires is a keyboard, a word processing app, and a display. It's easier if I have a high-quality keyboard, but at a pinch I could use an on-screen keyboard.

The problems start when I want to do research, or fact-check something, or pull a link or a quote from somewhere, such as this link to data showinghow iPad sales have declined. That's when things start getting messy on an iPad or some Android-powered beast. Switching apps is a pain. Switching tabs in a browser is a pain. Entering data into a spreadsheet requires painstaking concentration, and the scope for messing things up is high. And if I have to access information from a video or audio clip, then the whole thing falls apart rapidly because some apps -- YouTube, I'm looking at you -- are rubbish at keeping their place in media files.

Split-screen support on newer tablets makes this better, as long as you can restrict yourself to two apps. Beyond that, it's just a Band-Aid over a really nasty, festering wound."

Like I said, WE all know that, but the vast majority out there do not, and it would be good to hear this from one of the mainstream (amazing how you'll never see this from a Mossberg, Grumman, et al).

Zeelobby likes this.
  4. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always thought using tablets for anything beyond consumption is more for funsies then anything else. A laptop will let me belt out an email with multiple documents, URL links and attached images on a crowded bus in a relatively short amount of time. And that's like worse case scenario.

Don't get me wrong. Certain professions do take advantage of it much more than others. But a future 2-in-1 that's as thin as the SP when closed, but just as powerful, would be my goto. And we're getting there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dbrn and dstrauss like this.
  5. dstrauss

A second generation (or iteration) of the Surface book that was basically a 13" clone of the new MacBook, with real keys, trackpad, and three USB-c/Thunderbolt 3 ports would be awesome. I've seen a lot of folks at WorstBuy choosing the MacBook over the iPP 12.9 because it is marginally thicker but a REAL laptop.

Zeelobby likes this.
  6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think I almost cried when I read that port selection, lol. I don't know why MS and other manufactures continue to try to promote this minimal ports is better approach. The more ports the better IMO, and really with USB-C's versatility there should really be no excuse. And I don't want to have a dock or dongle splitter when I'm on the go, so 3/4 would be amazing.

But yeah, nothing in the tablet world has approached the functionality of an attached laptop keyboard though. The surface keyboards come close, but really it's just a lot of added doohickeys to accomplish what a laptop already did, just so you can occasionally take it off? (Again this is assuming future 2 in 1s will be powerful and thin as a SP).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

Wish my ipad mini had a kickstand as that magnet thing comes off so easy. I can hold my sp4 for consumption when lying on my back, but it's a little heavy. Sitting in an easy chair is great, glad to ditch keyboard. A slightly smaller/thinner/lighter surface pro mini with LTE with at least 8 gigs ram would be nice to replace my ipad mini.

One small dig on the sp4. When I'm working without physical keyboard it would be nice if onscreen keyboard would automatically come up when cursor is placed in a field expecting text.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well MS must fix that horrible touch typing experience on Windows.
    But instead of that they simple get back the old start menu button on Windows 10.

That's seems to be the No 1 problem after all(sarcasm)

They simple don't care about tablet/touch UI experience and how to improve it.

They just not capable of delivering both worlds (desktop/tablet) with maximum experience.

That's the No 1 problem in Windows.

Btw would be very welcome if future iPad having kickstand.
    Especially on the 12.9 inches version would be great.
    Even on 9.7 version why not.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Doesn't it do that when in Tablet mode?

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

You mean there's someone who actually uses tablet mode?

Kumabjorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.