Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, since we are in speculation land (thanks to Jeff) - I think Panay is going to bring a Surface Mini to market with a low power, fanless, Core M processor, 4gb/128gb ssd, LTE, USB C (wish I could say Thunderbolt, but that would encroach on the Surface Pro series too much). I'm probably making way too much of his comments about using the unreleased mini while designing the other Surfaces, but that had to be an epiphany moment for him, otherwise why would he even mention in print the great moleskin replacement experience of a device he would never make public?

Just think what a 0.25" SurfacePad Mini with full Windows and N-Trig would do to the market! While you are at it Panos - beat on the software engineers for a Bluetooth file syncing capability between the SM and your SB without needing WiFi or OneDrive!

PS - Panos, I'll let you go to a portly 0.29" to fit in the kickstand, SO LONG AS you let it have a fourth setting that is lower for writing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not to rain on your parade but he is more likely to release an 8" penabled ARM device running Windows 10 phone (or whatever they call it now). It would not tempt me unless it was full OS.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

This could be the rumored Surface Phablet....but most likely 6 or 7" running Windows 10 Mobile with Continuum.

Guilty ;)

Seriously though... Surface Pro 1 and 2 shared the same form factor, Surface Pro 3 and 4 were very similar, my guess is something that pushes new ground with the next generation that highlights key enhancements of the Anniversary Update....

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

still getting the darn hot bagging even on slow ring, wonder if they will have another driver update. gee people.... when back to mar surface from this AM power was down to 69 and didn't turn on right away. grrrrrrrrrrr

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...key enhancements of the Anniversary Update...>>

...Which would be what, exactly? I'm not aware of anything in Redstone 1 (sorry; old school) that wouldn't be compatible with the current hardware suite. KabyLake, 4k display, USB 3.1 and whatever are all hardware enhancements that could be made essentially independently of the OS (drivers notwithstanding, of course...). So I guess they could be done later this year; but honestly, if I was Microsoft, I'd just wait until the Spring...

6. jnjroach

My guess would be further Pen and Ink enhancements... at least 3K if not 4K Display, USB C replacing the standard USB 3.0....Surface Connector I would assume would remain with potential updates while maintaining backwards compatibility. The new dock (SP4 and SB) has built in PCIe support....

7. dstrauss

I watched Bryan's demo of the new ink features, and loved them (as for Bryan, he is fun for short bursts, but too much caffeine for my taste). Other than changes ports around (I'd ditch USB 3 and MiniDp for two full throttle Thunderbolt 3 ports), I don't see how much they could tweak this design - to me it is iconic like the MacBook Air 13" - and thinness for thinness sake kills battery life, BUT

13.5" Intel Smart Frame for use in laptop mode would be the berries - and probably consign the SB to eBay heaven!

8. jnjroach

Thunderbolt has very hefty licensing fees and the Surface Connector has the potential to do it... I know the have invested heavily in the technology and Enterprise Customers won't want to purchase new docks...

9. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

I have stopped waiting for MS to fix this. I've instead stopped this happening by using Hibernate instead of Sleep.

In Control Panel->Power Options->Choose what the power buttons do" I changed all the entries from Sleep to Hibernate. It's slightly slower to hibernate than sleep, but worth it to stop having to do those hard resets and loosing work.

10. dstrauss

Hefty - on a device already costing an arm and a leg and a ____ (let's not go there) - how hefty could they be to justify not adopting the newest industry standard that EVERY OTHER OEM is adopting (Dell, Acer, HP, Asus, Lenovo, Sony) - really, that's just not an excuse for pushing a proprietary solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.