Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Why don't they just make a smart cover like apple does for the ipad? What if you don't want a keyboard on a tablet? Then you have to go buy some junk off amazon.

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've got to get down to MS store and fondle one of those, they look very nice.

jnjroach likes this.
  3. spinedoc77

I miss the flat touch cover that the SP1/2 came out with, I think it was a great option. Very thin cover, but still have a keyboard. Although the type cover is really really thin and barely noticeable.

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  4. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, it's been a week now, since I changed my power settings so that my SP4 only hibernates, rather than the default sleep. While I did have that one crash and forced reboot upon wake on the initial day, I have not had any others all week. This is a lot less than previously; I was getting about 5 such crashes a week at least. So for anyone having these issues it may be worth trying.

Big'Un likes this.
  5. spinedoc77

Hmm, I know I'm going to jinx myself but my replacement SP4 is behaving quite nicely. What's odd is I notice windows hello is now instant, on my previous SP4 it took a good 2-3 seconds.

6. Big'Un

Big'Un Pen Pal - Newbie

Great! I got my SP4 Saturday and I have mine set the same way. So far, so good!

7. spinedoc77

Sure enough, had my first black screen this morning with my replacement, sigh. I've noticed it happens more if I swing the keyboard backwards before I press the power button, anyone else?

8. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

This is why I don't think they make the touch cover or come out with a simple flat cover... I never liked typing on the touch, and with how thin the newest type covers are (not to mention how good they are!), I guess they figure why bother.

Plus, despite the SP's being "tablets first", there are still times a keyboard is needed in my workflow or for just getting around weird spots in Windows, so I'm never caught with one either not attached or within reach.

spinedoc77 and JoeS like this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...despite the SP's being "tablets first", there are still times a keyboard is needed...>>

...I agree, and that's why I think that the Touch Cover still makes sense. Yes, it is not much thinner than the current generation of Type Covers and Yes, it is not the best typing experience, but "thin" is part of the Surface paradigm and when folded back, the Touch Cover is much less worrisome to hold because you don't feel all those depressed keys (even if they aren't doing something).

I really am surprised that Microsoft... or someone... hasn't seen fit to make a simple screen cover for the Surface...

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I particularly liked the improved touch cover that was available for the Surface Pro 2. It was so responsive and the backlighting was perfect. I would love one for my S3 and would use it most of the time while traveling.

spinedoc77 and dstrauss like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.