Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok that's good news at the end.
    Hope new unit be much rock solid and stable without such very frustrating issue you had with current problematic unit.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Spinedoc I hear your frustration, all i can go by its my experience with my personal device and the 40 SP 4s I support. Those on 1511 experience the power management issues those on the Redstone Builds are not having the issue my included.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

How much of this is improved sleep or hibernation after 2 hours?

4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm hoping mine is a hardware issue, I will know when I get my replacement. I really liked RS 295 and RS 316 and had virtually no issues with those builds other than the power issues. What I don't get is why my SP4 was very solid with almost no issues until the 2/17 update, maybe I had a hardware failure coincide with that. Although when I first got the SP4 is had the power issues. So I went from power issues, to running very stable for a couple of months, to power issues again. I wish I could get my unit to someone who was working on this, maybe they could ferret out the exact issue.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Are the Core M versions also having these problems?

Zeelobby likes this.
  6. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

This is why your posts are patronising. If you have read my post, you will see that I got a replacement brand new SP4, and only installed the Windows updates, and it had the same problems.

So it is Microsoft Windows or hardware related.

The fact that it does not happen to all users could be down to differences in how the Windows updates are applied for each user, or differences in Windows settings, or something to do with differences in hardware. The fact that the SFC tool reports errors when run with "sfc /verifyonly" on new SP4 straight from Microsoft, also suggest there is something seriously wrong with either their installs or the SFC tool. It would be interesting to know if the "sfc /verifyonly" reports errors on your machine.

Add the fact that I have had these crashes with both my old and replacement SP4, and I'm confident it is to do with Windows or the hardware. Add the fact that hundreds of other users are reporting the same issues, and I think it's safe to say that it is a Microsoft issue.

7. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

i can confirm that the black screen at wake issue just comes back after 2/17 update. Then I install old 4352 driver again, it's much better but I still get once every week or so. Now I have been using 15.40.20.4404, very solid and no black screen anymore.

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It has consistently comes out of S0iX without issue and consistently goes into Hibernation after 120 minutes and consistently comes out of Hibernation. But it will still have a lockup (Video related) about every other day, typically moving from docked to undocked.

9. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Core M version suffering also from electrical noise most of the case.
    It's most common on that version.
    There's a thread at MS support page with many many complain from people about that issue witch is annoying not doubt for that.

10. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

My two SP4 i5 also have electrical noise. But it's only noticeable during higher loads, like a virus scan with SSD activity. It seems more SSD than CPU related.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.