Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm having the feeling that most of the issue people having right now will be eliminated with RedStone 1 upgrade when released on summer(June or July most of the case)

It's most of all Windows 10 issue and simple MS can not resolved it via firmware update with current 1511 version of 10.

If it was drivers/firmware issue since today would have been resolved.

I was hoping that RedStone 1 would have been delivered current days of spring but unfortunately MS once again failed to deliver on time just like said last year.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With all due respect the power issues have NOT been resolved. Look through the feedback app, or go onto Microsofts tech forums and there are still plenty of people posting issues. For myself my issues got WORSE with the 2/17 update. Again with all due respect it's when respected members of the MS community such as yourself say "resolved" it takes the focus away from issues which are in fact not resolved. I don't mean to sound so frustrated, it's just that I am and get even more so when told there are no issues. (yes I've ran into these issues with RS 295 and 316)

Zeelobby and ElectronicFur like this.
  3. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Could you guys try something out for me please?

After the device has been somewhat discharged, connect the power plug and let it charge.
    With the device turned on, touch the back of the Surface with your hand. Do you feel any tingling in your hand?
    Since the power brick has no grouding wire attached it seems like that some (low) fault current can be felt. At least I can feel it on my Surface.

It's probably not dangerous but it leaves me wondering... anyone else with that observation? You might have to try out different locations: In bed or on a desk.

4. spinedoc77

RS 295 and 316 still have the black screen and hot bag issues. I'm now back to fully stock, formatted hard drive, installed win10 fresh from an ISO and updated all the firmware and drivers, and it's still black screening.

Unless it's a hardware issue which I suppose is possible, but I can't even get an exchange unjit from MS.

5. alextrela182

Possible your unit is more sensitive to that issue caused by 2/17 firmware update.
    So you should try to exchange it even with used unit but in perfect condition at worst.
    It's kind of difficult to exchange it with brand new if your current unit is more than 2-3 months old.

Maybe you should try to get brand new with direct visit to physical ms store since you are in US.
    If one refused go to another.
    I know it's bit of frustration but maybe in second or third store you have more wiling employee to resolve out issue.

But can I ask how exactly you get black screen?
    Only when putting to sleep for couple of hours and then trying to wake up or worst scenario??

6. spinedoc77

That's the issue, the physical stores won't replace it. One very large MS store I went to said that MS has not given them any stock for exchanges and he doesn't know when they are getting stock. With my SP3 there was never ever any issue of them just pulling a new unit off the shelf and replacing my faulty SP3 with it. So even though after inspection the tech agreed it should be exchanged, he still had to set up an online ticket and have me mail my SP4 to MS and said it might be up to 4 weeks before I got my exchange.

7. alextrela182

It's normal.
    All of my surface due today behaves like that when charging and while device is turn on.
    Not have to worry.
    I see.
    Well maybe truly they don't have stock.
    You should try couple of days later or you could ask them to tell you when going to have brand new sealed device so visit them again and to make exchange.

I think it's reasonable that within working week starting tomorrow the issue will be resolved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. spinedoc77

Well, chatting with a MS tech rep online and they say the same thing, the only option for warranty replacement is to send it in to MS. So seems like they discontinued warranty replacements right at the store. Oh the irony, the Apple store is right across the hall.

9. alextrela182

Can you ask them while they're picking up your device to give you another working conditions until get brand new??

I think that's the minimum should do and not while you paid for o working tablet/PC and being with empty hands by delivering to them your device.

10. spinedoc77

Yeah I requested that, but they said that was not possible. I was able to escalate my issue with tech support today and they are doing an advanced exchange where they put a hold on my CC, send me a new unit and I can send in my old unit when I get the new one. Fair enough, but not as nice as simply walking out of the store with one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.