Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well probably within April MS will release new firmware update since long time from the last one mid of February.

There will no be excuse if not resolved the issue people having.

So far general I'm pleased most of the part.

The only bothered me a little is that while I'm doing some light work(browsing with 2-3 tabs or office Word-OneNote taking or watching YouTube video) while 1.5-2 hours is completely silent with temperatures in normal conditions,suddenly for 4-5 minutes the fan turn on by itself,also getting warm and after that by itself return to silence and normal-cool temperatures.

Everything stock not using Intel latest drivers or any other.

Also encryption is always off.

As for the sleep issue putting in for half to 1 hour in sleep not having battery drain or black screen or freezes issue.

If I'm not going to use it much more time simple turn off by shutdowns.

That my experience so far.

But I'm having by end of April the ability returning to MS if anything unexpected and if things getting dramatically worst.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe indexing running in the background.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably that's the case since its brand new and since Monday I'm having it I've done only 2 full charging cycles.

It's not getting too loud and very worm but I suppose next few days as much I'm using it will be all time silence judging from my experience with previous surface tablet.

I'm not worrying actually just mention it most of all.
    I'll be watching it closely how perform next couple of weeks,hope everything ok and keep it until SP5.

I'm optimistic that at the end will keep it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to say I'm greatly disappointed in Microsofts customer service, it's taken a nosedive since last year IMO. I went in last night to my local MS store to get my SP4 replaced, I explained the crap I've been dealing with for 4 months. He wouldn't replace it, saying he would have to keep it for several days in order to test it, strike one.

Today I went to another MS store, a larger one which I've had no issue replacing items at no questions asked. Interestingly enough after having failed a recovery process, I downloaded and tried to recover/reinstall through a recovery usb drive freshly downloaded from MS this morning, and my SP4 failed that and went into a bootloop into the BIOS. So I get to the store at about 1pm and they say I need an appointment and the closest one was 3pm. The store is pretty empty, but ok that's fine I'll go grab lunch with my kid, I even offered to leave the SP4 in case they free up earlier but they declined. So I come back at 3pm, tech sees it's in a bootloop and he agrees right away it needs to be replaced:

So here's the issue, he says there are no replacement SP4's. He tells me that MS has not provided them with any replacement SP4's and he has no idea when they will!! This sounded like BS to me, I asked if this was the same at every store and he said he believed so. The only solution was to open a trouble ticket online and send in my SP4, he said it would be 1 to 4 weeks until I got a replacement!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF has happened to Microsoft customer support? This was the biggie, this was the reason I was glad to not buy Apple anymore, for that peace of mind if something went wrong.

Anyhow I ended up keeping my SP4, I've done a completely fresh install from USB and have all the latest updates and we'll see how it behaves. I'm seriously very close to putting this on swappa, losing some money on it and going a different route.

5. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I dont do much on my SP4 besides office, email, youtube, chemdraw, all of which I had 0 problems with on my SP3 and TPY12.

For some reason I have to make a conscious effort to hit save on my documents before I put my SP4 to sleep. It feels like a crap shoot right now and I do not know if I will encounter the black screen of not waking up or a normal wake up sequence.

This is exactly why I am looking at getting a Thinkpad Yoga 260.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@spinedoc77 Sure sorry you are having such problems. I went through about a week of online chats redoing all drivers and the USB image restore, and online approved exchange. Since I was going back to Austin (first time since I bought the SP4 on 1/16) chose to pick up swap. They told me to call ahead to insure they had an i7/16gb/512gb -they did. But as I reported earlier, the local manager even agreed to do an upgrade swap to the SB for the price difference, even though it had been nearly 3 months. Luck of the draw I guess.

So far so good, but not even 24 hours yet.

spinedoc77 likes this.
  7. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

oops, nm..didn't notice IRIS in there.

8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Can I ask you guys, is there any truth to what that MS rep said that the physical stores do not have any SP4 replacements?

I'm assuming that means they weren't willing to part with a new SP4 and would rather have refurbished units supplied from MS to give out. I'm not sure when this changed as whenever I swapped out my SP3 it was always for a brand new, sealed unit.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Just don't know, but the online folks told me to call ahead and be sure they had one - can't believe they wouldn't have new stock - felt like they were making sure They had replacement units (refurb?) - my SB was new sealed but 1549 lot, which worrie me a bit.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Most of the Power Management issues have been resolved in the recent Redstone Builds (there are other major bugs). My SP4 sleeps goes into hibernation and wakes up as expected. I put into Sleep Friday Night at 90%, woke it up out of Hibernation last night and it was 89% used it for a couple of hours and it was down 79% (this was 2 hours of having computing) closed the cover and this morning woke it up and it was at 77%

So much better....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.