Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Whistles quietly in the background with a bone stock brand new fully updated SB that will sit there indefinitely trying to start the Windows Hello camera without a single "application" or non stock image MS software....

I too can have all my Surface devices function perfectly all the time as I intend... just leave them turned off :D:p

I kid a bit of course, but if MS didn't have so many issues they wouldn't always be trying to fix something while breaking three other things with monthly updates. That's what drives us crazy. Things work, then they don't.... then they do again but oh crap now that doesn't work.

All said in love, long live the Surface.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  2. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok here's the thing Steve. MS has admitted there are serious issues as they have released numerous firmware fixes to try and solve various issues, such as the sleep issues. So no matter what you say, some of which is rather patronising, there are issues with Windows 10. Both my SP4 straight from MS had issues. The first SP4 I had since the start of December UK release date. And for one month it only had the Windows updates installed. No other software as I was too busy to move from my SP3. And it crashed numerous times when I was just using it for browsing duties. My latest SP4 from MS also had numerous crashes with only the latest MS updates installed. So Microsoft is to blame. Even my old SP3, with a full reset on Windows 10 is having crashes on wakeup from sleep. And that only has windows updates and office 365 installed.

So maybe you should just count yourself lucky.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

spinedoc77 likes this.
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well my SP4 was very stable on 14295 surprisingly, but like an idiot I applied the 2/17 firmware update and sure enough went back to the black screens and not waking up probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the time I wake it up. I put on 14316 last night as I figured how much more unstable can this POS get? No change getting lots of black screens, but that's definitely due to the 2/17 update. What I think I'm going to do is exchange it, and I'm going to keep exchanging it until Microsoft gets notified of a customer exchanging his SP4 a couple hundred times, then I can probably finally get to smack Panos on the side of the head and award him his Keystone Kops hat.

iridescentFUZZ likes this.
  4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So Dstrauss , did you get a special SP4 that's not running the production drivers etc? Just curious

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...So no matter what you say, some of which is rather patronising, there are issues with Windows 10...>>

...I didn't say that Windows didn't have problems. I said that I have a stable system with very few anomalies now that Microsoft has had a few rounds of serious updates. You can rationalize all you want about issues, but how do you explain my user experience? I install the updates when they are available and yet my system continues to be stable.

Again; my point is that if I can manage this, then logic suggests that perhaps some other factors... other than Windows... might bear some scrutiny.

surfaceproartist and Kumabjorn like this.
  6. iridescentFUZZ

iridescentFUZZ Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, two months since the last time I properly checked in and it seems there are still plenty of unresolved issues. As a first-time buyer, is it worth buying a brand new Pro 4? Especially taking into consideration the fact that literally all the models cost roughly 30% more in my country than they do internationally. Admittedly, prices of all of Apple's products here excluding the iPhone are similarly inflated 30%. Lastly, information regarding international warranty is incredibly nebulous, and I don't want to risk buying it cheaper elsewhere and then being told I can't return it here.
    I would instantly pick up a Miix or even a Matebook, but literally nothing apart from the iPad Pro and Surface Pro are officially available here with warranty. Even the cube i7 actually looks promising right now, lol.

Worst of all, I really need a laptop/computing device right now, and being an artist I'd benefit hugely from being able to work on the go. I visited the Microsoft store in my city, and I have no doubts that they will properly take care of warranty concerns, but if so many devices have all these freezes, black screens, blue screens, keyboard/mouse lockups, etc, what hope do I have of getting a device that works, or returning a faulty device for one that works? I absolutely cannot justify paying $1800 for something that costs $1300 elsewhere if it has so many issues.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ok - I'll bite...I restored my SP4 with the factory downloaded image from Microsoft as instructed by support. Then installed all updates per Windows update. No beta, experimental, or third party drivers. Then installed Office 2016 (all components); Adobe Acrobat Pro XI; iTunes; Texture; updated Drawboard PDF. That is it - no other utilities, software, updates - nothing.

After two days: multiple instances of refusing to wake from sleep without having to power off and restart; one complete shutdown while connected to the dock; a half dozen pen lock-ups (and I have TWO of the new model pens that neither works when the first one fails) a couple of instances of not recognizing external monitors connected to the dock and one reconnect to dock that failed. No hot bagging, but two overnight drains (one from 87% to 7%, one from 100% to 42%.

This is neither user error (nothing experimental) nor software incompatibility (if it can't handle its own software plus Adobe and iTunes). The forums here and elsewhere are replete with "mine runs great" and "mine sucks" - and numerous reports of stable systems developing problems after the 2/17 fix. This all leads to the opposite conclusion that this is either hardware related (bugs in Skylake, Marvell, or more) or firmware/OS incompatibilities.

Furthermore, MS online support and the Austin store have both confirmed this is still going on. I'm glad yours has been stable and straight, but your logic is flawed and it that doesn't absolve Microsoft of the responsibility for this nightmare.

Zeelobby likes this.
  8. dstrauss

My appointment isn't until later today - and may not get to set it up until tomorrow, but will post if they really try to install the secret sauce. My guess is it really doesn't exist - they are just installing the image downloadable because most of us "civilians" wouldn't know the difference. Just like them telling me they believe the SB is more stable tap the SP4.

9. dstrauss

Ok - arrived early; talked to another tech and manager, and decided to go with SB - reason - they feel still problems with Intel Iris drivers and if I use SB at desk or in tablet mode it will stay with dGPU which is less likely to cause these shutdowns and drop outs. Guess we'll see - setting up now here in store.

No secret sauce USB image - "I must have misunderstood other tech" it's same as what I downloaded for my SP4.

Great folks and great service - SB only a price differential charge and new full 1 year warranty. Got to admit their customer service is second to none - take that fruit ninjas

10. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's windows, or a driver, or something related. I had a rock solid SP4 until I applied the 2/17 firmware update, now my SP4 is a complete POS and has black screens 1/3 to 1/2 time I push the power button, stays hot in my bag, runs out of battery within a couple of hours when hot bagged and otherwise has crappy battery life. I've tried everything, from going completely stock to intel beta drivers, fast ring releases, DISM fix, etc you name it.

On the small suspicion it's hardware I'm exchanging my unit, or trying to. I'm a bit disappointed in MS customer service as I went to exchange it last night and they refused, saying they needed to keep it for several days and apply some kind of "metal" recovery to it to bring it back to factory, this was with a recently recovered SP4. So I'm off to a larger MS store to see if they are more reasonable.

It's just the most basic stuff that is crap. I can't even recover my PC, the recovery option never works giving me errors, this has happened many times before and with my SP3 as well. So now I had to figure out how to download an ISO to a USB drive and figure out how to force a restore, and even then I still got an error. It's just a terrible joke in today's day and age.

You guys know I'm the hugest MS fanboy, but in all honesty if I could return this SP4 I would in a heartbeat. I have been patient with MS for going on 5 months now and this is just unacceptable. I think this is a large part of MS issue, they really know how to lose a loyal customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.