Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't check that without installing Samsung drivers?

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No you can't.
    I've tried it without Samsung drivers and HD Sentinel or other similar SSD tool not even recognize the drive.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well gang, wish me luck - hi ho, hi ho, it's of to exchange I go...

Austin's store reports they have one in stock that they are getting ready for me (probably means they are polishing out the scratches on somebody else's return) but I've decided we are in for a war of attrition...every time one of these stumbles, I'm going to demand another exchange until Microsoft gets tired of me, or the one year warranty runs out. I'm getting pretty good at this restore/setup routine and can have it up in running in a couple of hours anymore. I figure monthly (weekly?) exchanges may just wear down Microsoft.

alextrela182 and Zeelobby like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I figure monthly (weekly?) exchanges may just wear down Microsoft...>>

...Especially from such a "high volume" user...!

soh5, Zeelobby and dstrauss like this.
  5. river888

river888 Pen Pal - Newbie

@dstrauss

Wish you the best luck. This thread has lots of posts ( 288 pages!) and while reading them, I am getting idea if most of the members here are getting the MS Complete Accident Protection too.

Maybe Microsoft should send you 3 SP4/SB; one in Fast Ring, one in slow ring, and one is yours. :)

6. dstrauss

I'll settle for ONE that just works reliably and doesn't crap out during a big teleconference or court hearing...

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A tad curious, @Bronsky reports smooth operations with his Surface 3, being in the same line of business, i.e. dependent on your computers in court rooms and when taking depositions or negotiating, why haven't you tested that machine? Granted, it isn't as powerful but if it gets the work done without all the trouble you constantly run into, wouldn't it at least be worth a trial run?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. dstrauss

I actually tried one early on, but was frustrated by laggy performance - I do a lot of my own drafting and research with two big monitors - S3 can only drive one external QHD monitor.

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ahh, so you actually need all the extra power. Laggy performance due to the extra monitors, or in general? Asking because @Bronsky reports it as snappy.

If I was a conspiracy nut I'd think your firm might have sued Ballmer's brother and he put you on some bewitched blacklist.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'll settle for ONE that just works reliably and doesn't crap out...>>

...OK, here's the thing; as I hope most of you know, I maintain my SP4 with only the Windows Update-provided modifications. I don't try to load beta drivers or untailored drivers from other suppliers (e.g., Intel, Marvell, whatever...). I install apps with an appropriate attention to compatibility settings and I keep them updated (e.g., Store apps in particular). I maintain reasonable configuration control on the overall software load and I don't install applications unless I've tested them for stability or I know that they are stable.

And my SP4 just works. I don't suffer from random BSODs, blinking screens, keyboard disconnects, hot bagging, random shutdowns or most of the other ills that folks here complain about. I do occasionally have what looks like slow WiFi connectivity, but it doesn't happen often enough to be a real problem. That's pretty much it.

So that leads me to the following conclusion: If I can maintain a stable, working platform, then there's not very much wrong with Microsoft's current Windows 10 load! Which would imply (by exclusion) that if you are having problems, it's likely a driver (or process operating in the background, or...) conflict involving some application that you've loaded... which would make it the application's fault that your Surface Pro isn't working, not Windows. I suspect that many of you should be bitching to your application providers, not Microsoft....

No question that there are things in Windows that need to be improved, but (to me) stability isn't the biggest problem. Maybe you should take some time to research the applications that you're trying to run...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.