Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well well despite frustrating time over time with MS/Surface family/Windows 10 a deadly combinations to our peaceful mind, at the end most of us returns back sweet sweet home ;):rolleyes:
    Me too planning to keep it until SP5 if not having serious issues.
    So far the new unit behaves better than December unit had and return.

After all there's no better overall proposal out there.
    All of the alternative have also disadvantages.

dstrauss likes this.
  2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I've been running 14295 for a couple of weeks and it's surprisingly stable, in fact it hasn't crashed or frozen on me yet. The black screens disappeared for a few days, but I still get them here and there. What's funny is I thought I was all updated, but yesterday windows update told me I needed the 2/17/16 hardware update!! Needless to say, I'm not going to install it as that's specifically the update which gives me constant black screens. Sucks that you cannot selectively install updates so I'll be missing out on security updates and such, although it seems to let me install Defender updates.

Anyone know if there is a way to selectively block the 2/17/16 update, but let everything else update?

3. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone noticed cursor issues with OneNote (the app)? When I use the mouse, the cursor appears in the wrong position in Onenote text, if I have paged or scrolled down the page. It seems to be related to the Display setting, "Change the size of text, apps and other items: 200%". If I change this setting to 100% the error goes away. If I set it to something other than 100% I get this error.

4. alextrela182

My experience was opposite.
    Too many crashes of some app and not even opened.
    So return to official 10 version.

I will jump again in future released.

5. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sending my unit to MS for an exchange due to the missing adhesive on the top, plastic part of the body. Got 3 questions:

1. What are the chances I'll receive a "new" and not only "working" unit?
    2. Can I check the lot number of the exchanged model? They say it will be packaged in a brown box, so not sure if it will have lot number printed on.
    3. How can I check if it was "used"? Any tool to check how long SSD was running on something?

I paid so much for this crap and now I'm afraid to get a refurbished model with older LOT that I already have. WTFFFFFFFFF

6. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Mike, I avoided that issue by just returning the old one for a refund, and then buying a new one.

7. dream3

dream3 Scribbler - Standard Member

wouldnt it be better to drive to the closest ms store and exchange there? Then you know for sure it will be new.

8. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

Could someone help me with encryption on the SP4?

1. does SP4 support eDrive (hardwarebased encryption of the SSD)? How can I make sure hardware encryption is enabled and being used?
    2. There is an option under System - Info - Encryption (underneath the general system information). You can activate "encryption" here, but I'm wondering if this option leads to the same result than enabling BitLocker? So bacially, what's the difference between that option and BitLocker?

Thanks.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Three strike rule?

Last three sleep cycles have been a failure to awake; one being just before yesterday's probate hearing in Waco (at least I was smart enough to try and start the d@#m thing BEFORE the hearing started). Same MO - push power -nothing - push again (like an idiot) nothing - hold and restart.

Today's start up was actually strike four - strike three was the usual "I won't wake up; you can't make me; you can't make me" followed by the reset/restart which wouldn't recognize my dock and monitors, so took TWO restarts (can you get charged with two strikes if you swing and then swing backwards before you throw the bat into the stands?)

10. alextrela182

The only tool to determine if what received is used or not is by checking SSD condition.
    First install Samsung drivers for the SSD(NVMe driver installer )
    http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Then install latest HD Sentinel.
    http://www.hdsentinel.com/thanks_fo...rddisksentinel.com/hdsentinel_trial_setup.zip

Take a look of my indicator of my brand new SP4 unit received on Monday.
    [​IMG]

And battery report also with Battery Bar.
    [​IMG]

You can't check the lot number without the original packages for the unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.