Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Haha. We're not ALL like that. That said. If Wacom EMR, the SP4 and the iPad Pro 12" had a love child, itd be my dream device.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My daughter, the Apple expert (iPhone, iPad Air, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 15) is not like that either; she just gives you that "you should know better" look.

3. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From your knees? ;)

Seriously though, with all the W10 & Skylake issues Apple has a great opportunity to snatch away Windows laptop/tablet users who only think they need a full-on computer companion device out of long habit. I'd guess a large percentage of Surface owners could get by with an IPP with a little bit of adjustment.

4. Zeelobby

I think the biggest killer for IPP is lack of mouse pointer. I would totally use it as a primary RDP machine if I could just use a mouse instead of touch.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmmmmmmm...

I still don't see how you get around the lack of a file system...when I have to pull a contract or pleading from the server, make an edit, AND PUT IT BACK where it came from, it all falls apart for me. I know, old school, but when you have so many clients/projects to organize, you need to have a file system organized like your lateral files, even if a lot of your work in paperless.

Telstar1948 likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So I'm going to try for a bit with the IPP 'biggie', but only for annotation. I think iAnnotate allows you to save back to OneDrive. Plus it will be nice to use all those audio apps that I bought years ago, and not be as afraid of running out of space.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Would you also try using OneNote and Word? I'm really tempted to buy the 9.7 but having no experience and knowing that my Apple using friends doesn't understand the Windows experience I wouldn't get the required feedback I'm after before jumping in.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. Zeelobby

I can give it a shot. I have the 9.7 now. I don't have a keyboard yet (cmon Logitech), but I can at least give some one note impressions. There are some good apps outside one note that do written text search, etc. But OneNote will always reign supreme

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If you have Word mobile from the Windows Store I think you'd have a pretty good impression of how things would work on the iPad. The main difference possibly being the file system. You'd have to work with iCloud or OneDrive, and I don't know yet how good that experience would be. Managing files has always been the major sticking point for me. I love being able to just drag and drop a bunch of video files onto my Lumia or onto a micro SD card that I pop into my Surface 3. No such luck with the iPad. It's drag and drop onto a section of iTunes. Thankfully afaik iAnnotate works well with OneDrive, so as long as I don't try to do much more than annotation, I might enjoy the experience. Time will tell.

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My understanding is that iOS doesn't support a mouse so I'm curious how it works when you move around in a document. Android supports it so that would be one difference, don't know if there are others, like language support.

Balbutio ergo sum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.