Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Why oh why do I insist on jinxing myself? This afternoon it just shut down out of the blue - no warning - was typing a response in this forum when the cursor froze, then all three screens went blank. Did the power off restart and it's been running fine again for another couple of hours, with very little fan noise; maybe I burned the fan up..:D

Never give up, never surrender!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Zeelobby likes this.
  2. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for running the test. What a shame that even your relatively clean reinstall fails it. And disappointing a reinstall doesn't seem to have fixed the issues.

Mine is similar. Can be happily working on it all day, even a couple of days sometimes. And then next day it starts flickering screen on and off. Or just crashes upon wakeup. Or a blue screen.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@ElectronicFur _ I don't know how to read the report, and given that is showing this right after an image install tells me there's no reason to worry about it - nothing I can fix.

And since the random shut down this afternoon it's running great (in fact no battery drain after 90 minutes between office and restart at home).

4. Chard85

Chard85 Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't been here for a while, but two issues I have with my SP4;

I still find often when I try to wake it up from sleep, it won't properly do so. The keyboard might light up, but the screen stays black, so I have to do a hard reset. Is this a common thing MS is aware of?

A new issue is that when using the 'suggested' brightness, it often goes dimmer, and recently even started flickering. Then if I turn the brightness up a notch it burns my retinas! Could the flickering be a hardware thing?

5. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the same sleep issue. Contact MS. I don't think they are aware of it. When I called them I was told that this issue had been fixed with the 2/17 update. But apparently it has not.

6. Chard85

Obviously I'm still under warranty, but I am abroad at the moment and don't have proof of purchase on me. Is there a way around that? Does a Microsoft warranty apply worldwide?

It's annoying this thing has been so buggy. One of the reasons I avoided the Cintiq Companion was because I knew it was notorious for hardware problems. Sounds like it's an unavoidable thing with windows tablets for some reason. Looking at the last few pages of this thread reveals I'm not the only one with the sleep issue.

Regarding this upcoming universal Wacom active stylus, do you think it will only work on future Windows 10 products, or would it likely work on the SP4 too?
    http://windowsreport.com/universal-pen-windows-10/

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

When this happens next time, try pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B
    See if the display reset fixes your problem when the keyboard lights up but the screen stays black.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tomorrow I'm receiving my SP4 unit according to UPS tracking number.
    Wish me good luck to be excellent unit free of bugs and hardware issue.:p

My last attempt to keep it eventually, after disaster last December with 3 faulty unit that returned.
    I hope manufacturing unit is lot 1608-10 end of February to mid March.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  9. Chard85

Didn't work. Do other Windows tablets have this problem, like the ones from HP and Lenovo? This is really not what you expect from a premium product that cost over AU$2000

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

With the latest Redstone Build using the January Video Driver has given 98% reliability, I had 2 hard lockups since installing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.