Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

As simple as that, just use this site to get the latest Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well downloaded Surface Pro 4 image file and restored Windows 10 fresh from a USB thumb drive. Then 7 hours of reinstalling software, files, and office setups (you just got to love this). Now docked, monitors restored (that takes a while to get it to recognize then set up the two external monitors attached to the dock), and now the fans have kicked in full speed again (sure hope this is just the usual indexing phase).

PS - this is the final straw. It was Microsoft's solution (as usual) for all ills. If this doesn't work they have offered to replace it, but who says the next one will be more stable. Why all the hassle - because I love the form factor and design, BUT HATE the random lockups, pen stops, and hard running fan.

Maybe I should just dust off my Toshiba 1100 Plus and call it a day????

HeavyHanded likes this.
  3. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't use the SP images, it's worth nothing and it's ain't better from the pure OS, only some missing/additional languages + drivers pre-installed. But the OS version is older than the one you can get via Media Creation Tool.

4. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe one of the other Surface imitators would do better? Seems like some are having less issues with some of the Surface competitors.

5. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've almost had universally less issues with alternatives. The SP is such a nice package though. Definitely a little ridiculous that they can't do better. I mean it's gotta be firmware issues, while most other manufacturers suffer from hardware issues. So I guess you get the SP4 in hopes that they'll one day fix it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. dstrauss

OH Great - now he tells me...

More proof, I'm just a masochist...

Zeelobby likes this.
  7. dstrauss

Fan noise update - I know this is going to cause some consternation around here, but I jumped off TPCR for a few minutes, and my SP4 fans went silent - then within a couple of minutes of re-opening this site, the fan noise returned...what gives with that?

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At this point we gotta go with conspiracy theories. Apple owns TPCR and has imbedded code which targets only MS Surface devices, causing them to explode.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  9. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

So I'm a developer (and a writer and a gamer.. ) and I do web development mostly. There are many websites that have many, many background connections that can do things and cause your CPU to work more. I can take a simple web page that just says hello, but include a ton of calls to the server that you would never see or know about that can do processing when it returns data. Or I can even not hit the server and just cause your browser to go hog wild running client side code.

Web programming can be very in efficient at times. I've seen many sites just load up things that aren't necessary.

For public sites that depend on metrics and advertising, this can be the case where it's hitting a great deal of sites that you just don't know about. Like right now, there are 13 trackers on this site for information

upload_2016-3-31_10-19-2.png

You bet that can cause a fan to spin up on any machine. I have a few tablets and notebooks at home and go to the same sites and some just cause the fan to spin up on all of them. Sometimes they don't but sometimes they do.

I'm not surprised and wouldn't be surprised that web sites, even those without media, can cause Surfaces or Dells or Toshibas or whatever to spin up fans.

It's also the reason I close my web browser everytime before I close the type cover and put it to sleep. I find it the most reliable way to get my system to not heat up as well as wake up.

Moral of the story, just because a web site looks simple doesn't mean it is and there could be background tasks that prevent your computer from sleeping or cause your computer to run worse than it should.

For those using Chrome, look at the plugin Ghostery as well as The Great Suspender which suspends tabs from doing anything that you haven't looked at for a period of time.

-EDIT- Here's a link on Chrome preventing sleep and hibernation https://techjourney.net/chrome-prevents-windows-from-going-into-sleep-standby-or-hibernation-mode/

-EDIT 2- BTW, I'm not blaming this site.. hell, one of mine has 7 trackers on it and I don't even do advertising on it. It just happens sometimes when you need to add somethings to get certain metrics.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    dbrn and Kumabjorn like this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

If you change the theme for TPCR from the default to one of the simpler ones you see the fans calm down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.