Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There's just no way to tell (yes, I've run all those command line battery and system tests). The reset I did (restore but kept data files - I think they used to call it "refresh"), has actually helped a lot: (1) less fan noise (but it still winds up when browsing even if not streaming); (2) fewer lock ups (but last night it refused to turn on without a hard restart); (3) sleep not draining battery more than 5%. Still have not had an extended pen session, but the last time the pen crapped-out (before teh reset) it did it after only a few minutes of writing, so there is some hope.

However, see my rant/update over at the Surface Pro 5 thread - we really need to hammer Microsoft with what we expect (DEMAND) from this fall's release of the SP5 and SB2.

Zeelobby likes this.
  2. ElectronicFur

ElectronicFur Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll be pretty angry if they release a SP5 and SB2 before they fix this crap they call SP4...

Having just had another SP4 crash upon wakeup, I'm fed up with it.

My SP3 running Windows 8.1 was a lot more stable. If I didn't need the 16GB of memory I would just send the SP4 back to MS and go back to using my SP3.

alextrela182 likes this.
  3. SF6

SF6 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just returned my SP4. If after all those weeks they still can't deliver on a basic feature, I'm out. Quite embarassing Microsoft. I called support and they told me that it should have been fixed with the 2/17 update. But as some already mentioned, it's still or again here. I can't imagine what the early buyers must have gone through.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I changed the theme for this site and use HOST File Ad Blocking so I have 0 fan on this and most sites. I won't use Chrome.

Its been around for a long time...Surface Engineers used back during the Gen One devices....

6. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. It'd be interesting to see if ads are the general cause for this. I still think there's something definitely wrong with the SP4 when browsing. Regardless of ads or not, no laptop I've ever owned has spun up that much regardless of browser.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

It's flash, disable it and you'll notice a difference. Though it isn't as bad as it was before.

8. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So is it the CPU that struggles with flash? Or like memory allocation? It's gotta be something hardware/firmware related.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an important question: is the top part of the body - the plastic part with the power and volume buttons - suppose to be glued to the screen? Because I can lift up mine easily at any place and it seems there was no glue placed at all. Anyone can check on his?

This is how it looks in my case.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

eww that sucks..... mine is not like that at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.