Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Damn. That stinks. It totally sounded like a hardware issue to me, as other people have had problems, but not similar to yours. Only thing I can think is to play around with alternative display drivers and/or reset the devices (maybe driver installation didn't go as smoothly as it should have, I had Windows install a driver without deactivating/removing the old one once).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well I spoke too soon. The 4380 drivers were very solid for me before MS shoved their update down my throat. Now with 4380 I'm getting the same black screens as with the official driver. What burns me up is that this isn't an occasional thing, it's almost every single time I turn the tablet on. I believe it's mostly after it hibernates but I'm not sure as I haven't watched it that closely.

3. spinedoc77

4. spinedoc77

Run the COMMAND PROMPT (ADMIN) and enter this code where the cursor is flashing: sfc /scannow

If the report comes back detailing errors/missing/corrupt files then run the more advanced command in the same window, right below the error report you just received.

Enter this code after windows32 where the cursor is flashing: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the report comes back with Error code: 0x800f081f then your SB has missing and corrupt files having to do with Windows Updates. And as my case proved to MS Surface and Windows 10 Support, and contrary to some here on the Community who have insisted these files make no difference to the smooth operation of the SB, THEY DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE if files are missing and corrupted for Windows Update Error Code: 0x800f081f

Step 1: Download the Tech Bench Upgrade Program using this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Step 2: Delete any existing CBS Log file. The path is: "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log "

Step 3: Mount the downloaded techBench with file name: "Win10_1511_English_x64", make sure not to install the setup.exe.

Run the DISM command in Command Prompt (Admin): DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

* Note: Make sure that the source is correct, for example "/source:WIM:D:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess" in this case the source of the Mounted ISO is D:\. If you will use a USB stick, most probably it will become E:\, just check the file explorer after mounting the ISO.

My Notes on what can go wrong; When downloading the tech file ignore the link at the top, scroll down and in the drop down list select the English 64bit version, download that. To mount it simply right click on it and mount it. I then copied it to a USB drive (not 100% sure if this is needed) but did NOT copy the setup.exe file to the USB drive.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    clovismod and Zeelobby like this.
  5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the sfc errors and MS replaced my SP4. Got the new one and still had the errors before I loaded anything other than the updates. Also, if you look at the event log, loaded with errors, including DCOM errors. Not sure if these are problems but I guess my takeaway with MS is if the machine isn't having problem, ignore the event log errors. Problem is when you do have problems, you don't know where to start troubleshooting.

Anyway, after getting a new SP4, I did the sfc/dism correction which worked. A couple of things from my experience with it. After you download the iso file, you need to expand it and convert the install.esd to install.wim. Not easy but after searching found one free program NTLite (ntlite.com). After the dism is successful, you may need to run sfc two or three times consecutively to get the errors to disappear.

1. It shouldn't be this hard.
    2. MS should do a better job to make sure warnings, errors and critical items in the event log are either explained or not logged.
    3. There doesn't seem to be any reason for DCOM errors other than MS doing a poor job.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

HOLY S#$@ - I feel like I've stumbled into a Linux convention...

dbrn and Allarih like this.
  7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

PC LOAD LETTER.

Is this more your tune Dale? :D

dstrauss likes this.
  8. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

9. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

In drive c properties disk cleanup -> cleanup system files I see "previous windows version" 17.8 gigs. I think "previous version" is a misnamed as it appears to be the windows 10 recovery files. In disk management on my sp4 I see "recovery partition" only 920 mb so looks like the recovery files are on drive c.

At some point I may want that space so assume I'd need to create media or download image (to usb drive). Still in honeymoon phase I haven't installed anything except office365, chrome and onedrive. Out of the 256gb have 182gb free and 54.3gb used.

If I did create recovery media on a usb drive what would be the procedure to reinstall from that? Used to be one would press a function key during bootup. How is it currently done.

10. mike_TPR

mike_TPR Scribbler - Standard Member

Does anyone have any previous SurfacePro4_Win10 drivers .zip package? The only available on the MS site now is 160401 but I need an earlier one. Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.