Surface Pro 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by spinedoc77, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So besides the black screen of death I'm noticing LESS battery life. I haven't figured out if it's when on standby or when on as I've had them in both fairly equally. Cue Keystone Kops music Microsoft.

2. Don1

Don1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Watching this thread regularly makes it so easy to rule out forever the notion of ever buying a SP4.

Zeelobby likes this.
  3. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

I sure have ruled it out :)

I do come here to see the feedback after firmware patches and every time, it's no cigar, just plain nightmare

My SP3 is going strong w/ 0 problems.

Will see what SP5 brings :) - may be they will somehow blend SB and SP into 1 unit

alextrela182 and Zeelobby like this.
  4. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd buy the Spro 4 in a heartbeat again. I've been able to program and write on the go without any problems. Yes I had issues two days after the 2/17 update but before and after that it's been rock solid. The items that crashed are usually my games I play on it or a browser issue, something that happens on my desktop as well. Other than that, for work, hands down solid machine and this was the first i7 lot that came off the assembly line.

5. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea its has its issues... but I would still get it again in a heartbeat.

6. edaniels

edaniels Scribbler - Standard Member

Love my SP4.... some bumps along the way....but amazing machine

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. Zeelobby

Zeelobby Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah. Def can't knock people for loving it. Technically the hardware is great. I've just had too many other devices recently that cost 1/4 the price and are much crappier quality but don't have nearly as many issues (it's been a long time since I've had anything crash or blue screen on me). I'm gonna wait til usb-c and more importantly TB3 show up. If they can deliver that in a non-selfdestructing package, I'll be on board again, haha.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Count me in the "love it" category.

I know - I even started the RANT thread - but despite the headache, heartache, heartbreak, and general frustration, it is still the best all around computer out there. Even after this morning's hiccup (I bragged too much around here yesterday, and this morning it wasn't seeing my monitors in the dock - had to do a restart, but it came up perfectly), I'm still lovin' it. Right now I have OneNote running on the SP4 screen, Outlook and browser on another, and two Word documents open on the third.

TAKE THAT iPAD XL......I can write notes on it like a tablet, type silly messages to you guys, check my schedule emails, and still compare two drafts of a contract...then unhook the dock, snap on the keyboard, and carry my 2.4 pound ultrabook to Starbucks for a few hours of "get away from the office" time.

Will I still b*$#@ next fall when the new SP5 and SB2 are released and stumble to their knees with crappy Marvell WiFi performance, Thunderbolt 3 port(s) that have trouble hooking up to a display port monitor, "smart frames" that instead of being smart can't re-size correctly, and just plain old random belches and farts...

OF COURSE I WILL, and will start RANT II - not just because that is my nature, but because Microsoft shouldn't release half-baked software and firmware - BUT WE ALL KNOW THEY WILL.

But none of that changes the fact that the Surface Pro 4 is the best designed portable computer since Toshiba built us the first mainstream clamshell portables to replace the 20 pound Singer sewing machines from Compaq and Panasonic. Best of all - for the first time in TEN YEARS watching the fruit ninjas trying their damndest not to imitate the Surface while basically copying it, and wondering all the while why THEY didn't invent the converged device category with OS X.

Now, let's just keep wishin' for Microsoft to come to the conclusion that a slightly smaller SB, with a SP4 screen (kickstand and all, including optional type cover for trips to Starbucks) will give them the ultimate portable computer - then we are in business.

9. pokenguyen

pokenguyen Pen Pal - Newbie

Install HD Graphics driver 4352 again

10. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Concerning battery drain, I discovered a mistake I had made. In the past I always disabled power management for Bluetooth to avoid random disconnect of devices. This is not a good practice with a device that uses Connected Standby, pointed out by doing a Sleep Study, which is of course obvious to me now but this is my first device that has that power management setting.

Also back to using the 4380 graphics driver, I prefer to use the latest if it doesn't create any issues and older drivers don't have any advantage that I am aware of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.